Past Midnight

You stared at the clock, gently rocking back and forth in your seat. As time went on, nerves overtook excitement. The closer that the two hands of the little clock were to the top, the more your stomach fluttered as your cheeks blazed red. There was a typical feeling of sickness from your excessive nerves, as tears welled up in your eyes. Since yours and Draco's official union, you'd never spent such a long time away from each other. It had been two weeks now since you'd laid eyes upon each other, with no contact, and knowing the way in which you parted made it all the more scary.

Did he love you the same? Did he still view you as his little [F/n]? His little Slytherin? Would he still accept you in his arms, after you spat at him, called him a filthy liar, suggested his existence to be disgusting to you?

Your heart shattered at the memory. You just wanted to feel him against you, to hear the beating of his little heart, to feel the hot air of his splendid breath. You wanted to feel the delicacy and softness of his exquisite skin. It was absurd to call yourself art; he was the art with value. Everything about him. Images of his smile, his voice, his face, body - it all replayed itself in your mind. To feel his arms, to feel his chest, his lips, his fingers, his legs, his stomach, his chest - everything about him. You just wished to feel him, to remind yourself of his wondrous existence. You saw the future in his eyes. He was your future. Wherever he went, you wished to follow.

It is true. Everyone wishes to be loved. Yet, reader, do you know what it means to love? You may find that loving is far more exquisite than being loved. It is the emotion of love itself that reminds one of their existence; they feel the unification of their soul with their lover, they wish for their happiness, joy, laughter, and reciprocate their pain. Everyone slanders pain, yet it can be ever so beautiful if it springs from the purity of one's soul upon the yearning for another's soul. It is the feeling of yearning, craving, longing for someone's touch that allows us to be so completely human. To look up into the stars and the moon, and see your lover's features in everything that's beautiful. To love is to see beauty; it can make life all the more exciting and complete. You begin to see beauty in everything and everyone; you wish for the fulfilment of life.

Imagine trusting someone's existence so entirely that you would truly follow them wherever they went. Imagine the fulfilment that follows it.

Love is not pain. Whatever anyone tells you - love is not pain. Why else are the two not synonymous? Because they are not the same. Love is beautiful, exciting, ethereal! Why must we see the negativity in everything? Why must we criticise love for the hardships and difficulties that follow it? No, dear reader, love is so simply beautiful, if one allows it to be.

"Are you alright?" Jack asked, snapping you out of your wondrous thoughts of Draco's existence.

"No."

"Why not?"

"I'm nervous."

"Well," he sighed with a smile, sitting back in his seat, "that is quite normal. You didn't end of very good terms, and you haven't seen each other in a while."

"And if he doesn't love me the same?'

"[F/n] - "

"And if I am worthless to him now?"

"Then he - "

"And if doesn't want to see me?"

"He wouldn't - "

"And if he doesn't arrive!" You cried out, rising from the seat as you began to pace the room up and down, biting your fingernails. "Why had I said all of that? Why did I call him a filthy liar? Oh ... Jack ... he won't love me the same!"

"[F/n]!" Jack finally called out, staring up at you with his furrowed brows. His yell caused you to flinch and turn to him slowly, catching his annoyed eyes at your words. "You, of all people, should know."

"Know what?"

"If one's love vanishes with the lack of regard, they were not in love with the individual but with the regard they received."

You paused, staring at Jack, feeling your heart flutter again. You gasped, your own emotions overwhelming you and flooding your face and eyes. Rosy lips, skin filled with a liveliness, eyes wide and longing. Allow me to repeat, reader - if one's love vanishes with the lack of regard, they were not in love with the individual but with the regard they received. It is a philosophy you ought to remember.

"Yes ... " you whispered, staring at Jack but inexorably dosing off in the position, your eyes widening as your vision blurred intentionally, causing you to drift off back into your mind and images of Draco.

"Can I?" He asked.

"Can you what?"

"Be selfish?"

"Selfish?"

"And have you all for myself?"

Your heart warmed itself at the memory as your eyes began to flood themselves with tears. However, as you looked up at the clock through your blurred and teary vision, you noticed as the clock had continued its journey past the peak. It was past midnight. Yet, Draco was absent.

Jack noticed the arising tears in your eyes as you gaped at the clock and the time.

"He is probably late."

"Or he's simply - "

"He will come."

You sealed your lips, pursing them and feeling them swell at your state of crying. The tears could not contain themselves within your eyes as they slowly began to fall down your stained cheeks. Jack's own heart broke at the state of you, and he sighed, not knowing what to do. He already began to plan the correct alcohol, makeup, and dresses, alongside all the quotes about how men ain't shit. Yet, he could not bring his mouth to open and say anything to you, seeing your devastated state.

You let out a soft cry.

The cry was blocked by the sound of the doorbell.

Your heart leaped, as both you and Jack instinctively darted your heads towards the hall, where the door was around the corner. A smile rose on Jack's lips as he slapped his knees before rising slowly and flashing you one last satisfactory look that said 'I told you so', as your own heart began to pound irresistibly. Perhaps you ought to have been the one to open the door! Yet, you paused, realising that it was dangerous for you to open the door, in case it was anyone but Draco. The blinds were all already closed, and you could not help but stare in the direction of the door, as your world slowed around you. The beating of your own heart had gotten so painfully loud; you could scarcely hear Jack as he made his way to the door, and you only briefly caught sight of him crossing the sitting room as he was one big blur.

You'd frozen completely, staring at the corner behind which the door was. Jack had disappeared into it, and you finally heard the click of the door, followed by muffled voices exchanging.

Could it be?

Finally, from the corner appeared the blonde-haired boy, breathing deeply, also having stopped dead in his tracks as he gazed at you across the room. There he was. In his own person.

"[F/n]."

"Draco."