Semper Fidelis

Life had to be on the strategic for now. When Draco would come to you, and request to do something, you were forced to purse your lips, or frown, and turn away awkwardly, telling him you had something to do. And when he would sometimes approach you from the corridor, you would turn away and disappear into the closest darkness, leaving Draco to raise his eyebrow in confusion. But perhaps the most fruitful and satisfying occurrence of all was none other than this; the very fact that Draco did not doubt your love, even in your avoidance, even in your turning away, even in your refusal. He did not stop to think to himself, Does she not feel the same way anymore?, nor did he consider, Is she cheating on me?, nor did his mind dart to, Has she gotten bored of me? Moved on from me? Found someone else? - his mind did not consider those possibilities to even be possibilities, and therefore did not pop up in any corner of his mind. He considered that perhaps he'd done something to annoy you, or that someone had told you a lie, for he knew he had not done anything. He considered that you really were busy with whatever you were done - you had a lot on your plate, after all, with Quidditch training for the games, with the Greengrasses, and with your therapist. Draco had been with you for a long enough time to be able to recognise your eyes, your lips, your smiles, laughter, your tears and your cries, your screams and your anger. Thus, when he saw the manner in which you looked up at him, when he saw you turn away, when he saw your breathing, he knew that something was wrong. 

"I think [F/n]'s mad at me," Draco said one lunch time, sitting with Blaise and Ginny, for Ginny had taken it upon herself to sit at the Slytherin table. "I must've done something to annoy her."

Ginny pursed her lips, looking down at her food. 

"Do you know anything?" Draco asked, turning from Blaise to Ginny. "She won't speak to me. She's been really distant these past few days. I asked her how her therapy session went when she came from it, she just said it was fine, and then went into her bedroom without another word. Did I do something?" 

"Potter has a temper, but she's not one to avoid an issue," Blaise said, "so if you'd done something to piss her off, she would confront you about it, rather than ignore you for it." 

"That's true," Draco huffed, leaning on his hand, "but with the Greengrasses around, especially the young one, you never know what's going to happen. I feel like someone's told her something that isn't true."

"I doubt she'd believe them without checking it for herself." 

"She's not mad at you," Ginny finally said out loud, exhaling, "she's just having a tough period." 

"Well then why won't she come to me to speak about it?" 

"I think you should give her space." Ginny exclaimed, turning away awkwardly. 

"Space?" Draco scoffed, looking at Ginny as though she'd suggested the more bizarre and absurd thing in history. 

She opened her mouth to reply, but [F/n] Potter had appeared in the door of the Great Hall for lunch. The three turned to you, making eye contact with you, and, upon seeing Draco, you realised very quickly how easily you crumbled upon the sight of him. Although Snape had told you to distance yourself over time to make the break up more believable, you soon began to realise that you weren't distancing yourself for the plan - you were actually avoiding Draco in order to avoid the break up. Avoidance stopped being a strategic plan and began to be a real machination upon the closer realisation of what you had to do. To say I must break up with Draco when speaking of a plan is much easier than actually looking him in the eyes, feeling his touch, smelling his existence, and having to tell him It's over

[F/n] Potter does not have many weaknesses, but Draco was and will always be one of them. 

Thus, when you met Draco's eyes, you gulped, your expression of confidence fading, as you took some steps backwards, and immediately left the Great Hall, deciding that lunch was not that important.