An Odd Connection

"What do you mean?" 

"I mean - " You huffed. "I mean it's clear. It's clear! One from each house. We've already dealt with Slytherin, or, at least, Harry, Hermione and Ron are. The other three ... they will be somewhere in this castle."

"We don't even know what they could be though."

"That's where you're wrong," Ginny snapped. "Tell them."

"So, I started researching about the history of each house. There are ... some very significant parts to each house. They probably hold the same significance as the locket did, which would place them on a similar pedestal. Not only that, but," you paused, rushing over to the girls' dorm. From under your bed, you pulled out a book before running back to the common room and taking a seat at the sofa. Blaise, Draco, Ginny all leaned over, looking into the book as you opened it. "This was underlined." 

There, on the page, Rowena Ravenclaw's diadem was clearly underlined in an old quill which had stained the pages through. Everyone's eyes glistened as they stared at it, lips slowly curling into victorious smiles.

"You're ... a genius, Potter," Blaise whispered, staring at the page. "You ... you did all this by yourself?"

You shrugged.

"You'll single handedly destroy him yourself." Draco added with a smile. "I'm proud of you."

"Do we even know where it could be, though?" Blaise asked.

"Bingo." You grinned. "I did some further research and dug up some old paperwork which I stole from Dumbledore's office. I found the contents of the Room of Requirement. The diadem was on it, which means it's somewhere in it. We'll just have to find where." 

"It's so close, yet so far," Ginny laughed. 

"On a more positive note, when rummaging through Dumbledore's office when Snape was out ... I found this piece of paper." And with this, you pulled the piece of paper out of your pocket and handed it to Blaise and Draco. "He knew I'd find it." 

Marvolo Gaunt's Ring - it has been destroyed. 

There are 7 Horcruxes, [F/n].

"He knew," Blaise whispered, gazing at the paper. "But seven? If there's one for each house, plus this ring, that leaves ... two more." 

"That's what I'm stuck on," you huffed, slouching in your seat. "I'll figure it out sooner or later, hopefully. But still." 

"We can help you search." 

"For now, I think we should focus on the ones we do know," Ginny added. "[F/n] and I will go and search the Room of Requirement sometime after dark." 

That night, you could not help but stare upwards at the ceiling. Everywhere was dark as you sat in your cold bed, alone, hearing the snores and dreamy sounds of the Slytherin girls around you. Now it occurred to you how little significance it all had. All your petty arguments and disagreements, fights, with the Slytherins before - they were all nothing. At least, compared to your struggles now. Sometimes, in the midst of horrors, one learns to appreciate the small things, even if they aren't entirely agreeable.

And then, suddenly, from within the dreamy silence of sleep, a voice rose and filled your ears from across the room. A girl's voice.

"Potter," a voice asked. You knew this voice well, and were surprised to hear it. "You asleep?"

"No." 

"Can I ... can we talk?" 

"About?"