Holding Out for a Hero

"It's time for us to go, Draco." 

He fell onto his knees before your body. He lifted his arms to flip you over onto your back where he could see your face, but froze just before touching you. He could not imagine touching the skin which he touched every day, but to feel it cold and lifeless. It was not something he wished to do, something he wished to face. But you deserved it - you deserved his courage. He could not leave you cold on the ground without reminding you of his love for you. 

Inhaling, he placed his hands onto your body, prepared for the icy signature of death, only to be met with the usual warmth; skin as soft as every morning in which he'd awoken against you, as every night in which he'd drifted off against you. Skin as soft, skin as warm, skin as lively as every beat [F/n] Potter's heart gave it. 

He did not want to admit it. The terror of such hope prevented the thought from crossing his mind. He preferred the heartbreak and dread of what he knew to be true, than to tear himself apart when he presumed more, which would turn to be what he once knew to be true. [F/n] Potter was announced to be dead, the love of his life, his soulmate, the girl who helped him grow and become who he was today - she was gone. His hope for life, his dreams, his smiles and his tears, his existence and his identity were all stripped away from him so quickly, so immediately. 

"I think I forgot to tell you how much I love you," he cried out, tears beginning to rush down his cheeks as he saw your closed eyes and the lack of movement in your chest (you'd practiced enough). "How was I supposed to know that 'live to be my Mrs Malfoy' would be the last thing I say to you?" He paused. "You're an idiot. Such an idiot. You said you wouldn't. You said you wouldn't leave me." His sobs began to increase, the more he remembered of who you once were, the more it struck him that they were now only memories and would remain memories forever. That he would not feel your lips against his anymore, that he would not hear your voice again, that he would not live to see your joy anymore. "Serva me, servabo te," he cried out within his whisper, pressing his forehead against your chest, sobbing deeply into it, hopelessly, awfully. If one had seen the awful scene, they would have broken down immediately, just as Blaise and Ginny were doing. So deeply that they averted their eyes, feeling their own hearts shatter. 

"Draco ... " Snape called out once more, his voice shaky. 

There was not much else for Draco to do, but promise himself that he would come back for you - for your body - and give you the funeral that the great [F/n] Potter deserved. And when he lifted his forehead from your chest, all he could feel against his own skin was the heat which resonated from your chest. The heat which he felt just some nights ago when he'd pressed his forehead against your chest, against your stomach. The same heat, the same life. 

But he did not look back. 

His eyes did not turn back to your body when he left with Snape, as they ascended the hill and left the forbidden forest, towards Voldemort. He did not turn back, he did not look to you. 

"We can't just leave them here," Ron whispered out. 

"This is ... probably the safest place," Hermione cried out, wiping her tears, refusing to turn to the bodies. "No one will come here anymore." 

"We have to destroy the other Horcruxes and then kill him. As Snape said ... we will grieve after. For [F/n] and Harry," Ginny added. 

"For [F/n] and Harry," the other three repeated.

And soon, they too were gone. 

Soon, silence filled the atmosphere, and all that could be heard was the gentle breaths of you and Harry. 

"Well that was fucking dreadful," Harry groaned out, lifting himself into a sitting position. "My left arm went dead," he cried out, moving his left arm around. 

You, too, lifted yourself with the most manic grin upon your lips.

"Oh God, what?"

"Nothing," you grinned, "I'm just so satisfied with how much of a genius I am."

"Your boyfriend is probably thinking of killing himself and you're grinning like that over your supposed genius?"

"Shut the fuck up, Harry. Get laid." 

"GeT LaId," he scoffed. "What next?"

"Are you willing to be on suicide watch? I don't really want that motherfucker killing himself." 

"Didn't he feel you breathing when he rested on you?"

"You have no idea how fucking difficult that was," you groaned, lifting yourself and dusting yourself off, "I basically stopped breathing for an entire minute. Thought I was going to die."

"Kind of offended that they just left us here." Harry added.

"Init?" You scoffed. "They proper just left us to go and save the rest of the world. Aren't we more important?"

"Right? My thoughts exactly." 

"Some people need to sort out their priorities." 

You and Harry looked at each other for a second, before erupting into the most youthful and innocent laughter. You did not hesitate to approach each other and wrap each other's arms around the other into a warm embrace. You rested your head on his shoulder, grinning from ear to ear as you felt Harry's warmth.

"Good to have you resurrected, brother." 

"Likewise, brother," he added.

"I should've seen that coming." 

"You set yourself up for it." 

With an inhale, you lifted your wand from the ground. Flicking it in between your fingers, you turned to Harry with a determined smirk which he understood completely as he gripped his wand tighter. 

"Let's go save the world then, I guess," he grinned. 

"Do you have your phone on you?" You asked.

"Yeah, why?"

"Do you have Holding Out for a Hero downloaded on Spotify?" 

"Uh, probably. Why?"

"Play it whilst we go. It'll add to the effect. And during the fight."

"You're pathetic."

"Just do it."

Harry rolled his eyes before pulling his phone out of his pocket and doing exactly as he was told. He began to ascend the hill, leading the way. Just before following him, you turned to the ground where Jack had been buried before kneeling down and tracing your finger along the dirt. 

"I'll avenge you, my guy. Don't you worry. I'll shove the Sword of Slytherin so far up all their asses."