Hallowed Sunset

[F/n]...

[F/n]...

Come closer, I'll tell you what you need to know. 

[F/n]...

I'm right here. I'll always be right here.

"Mum?" 

"[F/n]," Ursula snapped you out of your dazed state. 

Where had you left the conversation? At what point did you begin to hear your mother calling out to you? That's right - at the point at which you were discussing your lack of parents. 

"I never knew them, but it still feels so lonely."

"I can imagine it does, [F/n]. You know ... it reminds me of a time that I experienced. You see, my mother ... she died in childbirth, and I was raised by my father. I never met my mother, but the pain of not knowing her was one of the loneliest experiences of my life."

"So you get me?" 

"I do." She nodded a gentle smile. "I don't know if this would work for you ... but sometimes what helps me is ... I write letters to her. I never send them - I have nowhere to send them to - but I write them, and I keep them. I have a large stack of letters from my childhood until now, whenever I am troubled. I pretend I'm writing to my mother. Of course, this is what works for you. Something entirely different might be better for you."

"No ... I think that's a good idea. I like that. I think ... I'll give that a shot. But it's annoying because I know I'll get no response. And it's like ... I want advice from my mother. What do I do? I just want her to tell me what to do."

"Well," Ursula sat back in her chair, "if you were in her position, and your daughter was going through the same things as you, what would you tell her?" 

You sat with this thought in your mind for a few moments before replying. What would you tell your daughter? What does it mean to have a daughter? Someone who relies on you, someone who needs you and loves you, someone who wants to learn from you. 

"I'd tell her she deserves better. That she's been through enough and she shouldn't have to keep being such an adult in every situation. That she has a right to her own feelings, even if they're not perfect and mature. That sometimes finding peace is in being able to walk away. I would not want to see her struggling constantly - to see a difficulty in every corner she looks." 

You were picturing a young girl. She looked a lot like you. She was you. A younger version, more innocent. Was she ever a child? Did she ever have a chance to be a child? 

"I think that's exactly what your mother would tell you, [F/n]." 

That's exactly what I'd tell you.

"I hate that she's left me." 

"I know." 

Tears began to appear in the corners of your eyes. The acknowledgement of your mother being gone was never a pleasant one; there was something more abrupt about this acknowledgement. It felt permitted; like you had every right to know she's gone, and every right to feel upset about it. There was nothing more to the story - no vengeance, no fighting to survive, no redemption. It was as simple as wanting your mother with you when she was not. 

And tears began to pool down your cheeks. 

"I'm sorry, I don't know why I'm crying," you wiped your tears with your sleeves. 

"It's okay to cry, [F/n]," Ursula smiled, "anyone in your position would."

You let it unleash. You placed your face in your sleeves, and let the tears fall freely. You wept and sobbed into your sleeves. Every pent-up emotion regarding your parents, and then Draco, released itself into your sleeves.