Return to Youth

"I can't believe you saw them," Ginny gasped, sitting back in the sofa. "I can't lie, that's pretty cool. Good ending to the story. I'm so glad that ... you'll be safe from here onwards. You've been through so much."

You gazed at Ginny. Safe from here onwards. You bit your lip, turning away, before releasing a forced, gentle laughter. "Yeah ... I'm glad too."

She paused. "Or ... not. What aren't you telling me?" 

"Huh? Nothing. It's fine. I'm glad too."

"No ... I know you too well. That is not a genuine [F/n] Potter laugh, and you broke eye contact with me. You never do that." 

"Ginny," you sighed, "alright, yes. There's more, essentially. But ... it doesn't matter for now. Can we just leave it for now? It's not urgent and it's not something we have to think about. I've just woken up from death. I'd rather talk about something better."

"Sure," she nodded, "I understand. I'm so glad all of this happened when it did, because it finally gives us the opportunity to fully focus on Christmas. I'm so excited for it now, I feel like I can let go of all my worries and stresses. Are you going to get Draco anything for Christmas?"

"Well ... uh ... I haven't had the opportunity to think about it. I've been dead."

"I hate your jokes."

"Wasn't really a joke," you grinned, "but ... there is something Draco's wanted for a while but since his awful relationship with his parents, he's been cut off from all the money and so hasn't been able to afford it."

"What is it?"

"It's the latest broom. It was released not long ago. I saw it in Diagon Alley before this entire mess started up about Voldemort, and the fights and everything. He mentioned it to me."

"That sounds great. But ... if Draco can't afford it, how are you going to?"

"Now ... that's the issue here." You sighed, sipping on your hot chocolate. "I'll have to figure a way out. Maybe rob a bank."

"You know, I wouldn't be surprised if you did." 

"I'm not joking. I think I genuinely might. I have no other way of acquiring the money."

"Oh, [F/n], don't get locked up." 

"Of course not. Do you know who I am? I'd never be caught." You grinned. Ginny laughed gently as the two of relaxed into the sofa, gazing ahead of yourselves at the Slytherin fireplace and appreciating the warmth it was giving off. There was something peacefully beautiful about this; as if all was right. You felt young again, and you developed an appreciation for life like never before after realising that your family was still by your side. 

Connections ... they don't end at life, [F/n]. Experiences don't end at life. Do not think that living is the greatest privilege.

Yes. With this new knowledge in mind, and the locket around your neck, you could feel the love of your parents. You knew now that they never left your side, and you would see them again. It was almost as if they were alive, but just unavailable at the moment. You knew they were out there, somewhere, rooting for you, loving you, and that was okay. It was going to be worth the wait. And you knew that Harry ... Harry believed in you. Thus sitting here, before this fireplace, with your darling best friend, and the hot chocolate, and the beauty of Hogwarts again, knowing your friends were still alive - it was a gift you learned to cherish very quickly. It gave a hope of a kind. You felt young again, free. Capable of fulfilling all the dreams you always wished for, had you not been so caught up with trying to save the universe.