Obsession

"I love you, Draco. Please. You can't do this to me."

"It's too late, [F/n]."

"What do you mean it's too late?" 

"You know what I mean. Let it go, [F/n]."

"Potter," Snape's voice snapped, causing you to return to your present surroundings, out of your own mind. You could not help but be grateful to him for this; such thoughts were not ones you wished to pursue, for they ate your mind like a ravenous and feral animal. "Are my lessons a joke to you? From day one you have been falling asleep and dosing off in my lessons." 

You lifted your head from the desk, taking an awkward look around the class, realising that everyone - including Draco - was watching you and your exchange with Snape. He stood by your desk, watching you intently, eyes squinted and suspicious. Perhaps a hint of worry, but no one in the class, except yourself and Draco, knew the man well enough to recognise those miniature shifts in his face. 

"I was listening." You said, sitting up, clearing your throat and straightening your robe. 

"Oh, is that so? What did I just say?" 

You licked your lips, looking down at your desk in exasperation. "Something about the Dark Arts, I suppose."

"You ... suppose?" He asked, a twitch growing in his left eye. 

Noticing this twitch, you squirmed slightly in your seat. "Uh ... I guess ... I suppose not, then?" 

"Stay behind, Potter." 

"Snape! It's the first day!"

"And you're already acting like this." 

In a huff, your back hit the back of your chair harshly as you slouched downwards, outstretching your legs under the desk. Hermione, who was sitting next to you, could not help but raise her eyebrow at your behaviour. 

"You okay?"

"No."

"What's up?"

"I have to stay behind on the first day already. Doesn't he know I have things to do?" 

"Why are you so distracted? Your eyes are awfully red, [F/n], have you been sleeping? And what is that?" She asked, getting closer to your face. "My God, [F/n], the veins in your eyes are about to pop out, I swear. When did you last sleep properly?" 

"Thirty-seven years ago."

"You're eighteen."

"That's the point." 

Over the entire lesson, you got no work done. It was both a result of your tiredness, and also an act of rebellion. You took no notes, wrote down no answers, refused to answer any verbal questions. It got to a point where Snape knew that pursuing knowledge from you in today's lesson was pointless, and he consequently gave up. The only interesting part of the entire lesson was noticing the exact frame you got for Snape on Christmas on his desk, facing away from the class and towards him.

 And when the lesson had ended, and everyone packed up and was excited to exit the class, for the first day of Hogwarts was finally over. Draco's instincts caused him to wait behind too, whereby he only stood up, placed his bag on the table, packed everything up, and then simply waited for you. 

"I didn't ask you to wait, Malfoy," Snape said. 

"I think you should take it a bit easy on [F/n]." He said, calmly, quietly, to avoid angering you.

"I don't need your help," you huffed, sitting on the desk, "go on, lecture me, Snape." 

Snape sighed, shaking his head, as he gently sat back and leaned against his desk. His hands remained clasped in front of his torso, as he gathered up the courage within himself to say what he did next. "I just wanted to ask you how you're doing, [F/n]?"