Potter the Liar

It was all you could think about over dinner. Ginny and Blaise remained deeply in conversation, discussing Christmas plans. It was with great news that Ginny and Blaise announced their stay over the Christmas holidays too, for Hogwarts was currently deemed safer for them, under the protection of professors, than to be at home with all the Death Eaters roaming. They knew that the Death Eaters knew who they were, and so would find it with ease to search for them in the free world. 

"Why're you so silent?" Ginny finally asked, pouring some tea into your mug. "You haven't touched your food either."

"I'm not that hungry."

"What's bugging you, Potter?" Blaise asked. "Something's clearly on your mind." 

"It's nothing."

"Oh come on," he huffed, "I thought we were past this whole thing of lying. What's up?" 

You paused, looking at him for a while longer, pondering over your own thoughts and whether they were worth being revealed. "It's just ... there's a couple of things going wrong."

"Really? I thought now was the time that things were going right." 

Pursing your lips, you placed your fork into the food, playing around with it momentarily before setting the fork down again. 

"I think I may end up dying in Azkaban."

Blaise and Ginny dropped their cutlery onto the table, turning to you immediately with widened eyes. Ginny's full mouth stopped chewing as she paused her breathing, staring at you in horror. No one spoke for a couple of moments, with Blaise and Ginny simply staring at you in horror, processing the depth of your words. 

"You ... think ... you may ... end up dying in Azkaban?" Ginny asked with a full mouth. 

"The ministry has become extremely strict with all spells cast. They're tracking who cast which spells to locate the Death Eaters. And ... I've used many Unforgivable Curses ... way too often. I used it on Bellatrix, I used it on Goyle, I used them too many times. I've used them in moments that I did not need to." 

"But," Blaise gulped, "but I thought you had that offer to work with the ministry?"

"That deal was offered to me by Rufus. It wasn't an official ministry statement." 

"So? Can't you get Rufus to talk?"

"I thought of that ... turns out Rufus is no longer at the ministry. No one knows where he's gone, if he's even alive." 

Blaise and Ginny turned to each other, furrowing their brows, before sighing and looking down at the table in thought. They were trying to think of as many ideas as possible to get a way around this, but, to no surprise, nothing reasonable came to mind. 

"That's ... not all." 

"What is it?" 

You turned, looking around the Slytherin table for any familiar faces that could be listening. No one of significance appeared to be at dinner, no one who was really interested in you, no one except maybe Pansy, who was sitting at the end, but she was not even looking your way. 

"Have you guys," you cleared your throat, leaning in closer, lowering your tone, "have you guys ever heard of a Greengrass family?"

"Of course," Ginny nodded, "they're an old pure-blood family. Quite powerful, from what I heard."

"Yeah, I heard the same. My grandad knew the Greengrasses. My family is quite traditional when it comes to those ideals - the whole pure and half blood - but he was quite progressive without it. He never cared much, and I know he hated the Greengrasses."