More and More

Gently placing the mug down onto the desk, you felt yourself relax into the chair. The atmosphere remained silent and tense; there was an odd awkwardness in the air as both you and Snape avoided each other's eyes across the room. He remained at his desk, sipping on his own tea, as he found amusement around the room, as long as he did not have to look at you and start the conversation. 

"So," you finally began, causing him to finally turn to you and sigh of relief and that the fact that he did not have to be the first to speak, "you called me in here, didn't you?"

"Right, yes."

Silence ensued, leaving you to squint your eyes suspiciously at Snape. 

"Snape, what is it?" 

"What's what?" He said quickly, clearing his throat.

"Okay, now you're scaring me." 

"It's," he sighed, turning to you completely now, "it's nothing. I just ... I wanted to call you in here. To talk. To see how you're doing. How are you holding up? Do you think you'll be ready to come back to the classrooms and continue studying for exams after Christmas holidays?" 

"Uh," you paused, "I suppose so. I feel fine. I don't feel bad physically. Mentally and emotionally I'm still trying to catch up a bit."

"That's understandable. You've suffered a great loss."

"Yes. Well ... I'm quite fine. It could be worse. But I mean ... been there, done that." You smiled awkwardly, noticing the stern expression on Snape's face. "Not like it's the first time I've lost someone close or killed someone."

"Right," he nodded, turning away. "[F/n], can I just say really quickly ... I'm glad you're here."

You nodded back, smiling. "I am glad too."

Some more silence ensued, the two of you not quite knowing how to talk to each other. There was something painful about the air, making the situation entirely awkward. As though Snape wanting to be caring towards you was the most awkward thing in his existence. 

"Right, if that's all," you said quickly, clearing your throat, "I suppose I'll be heading off." And you had stood up, packed up some of your things that you brought with you, and you tucked the chair in. You were ready to leave, indeed, until Snape spoke again.

"Okay, there's more." He said quickly, releasing a breath of oxygen quickly and loosening his stance. He was ready to get something off his chest. "The Ministry is back now. They're no longer Voldemort's followers. But ... in trying to locate past Death Eaters, they've become extremely strict and they've began to monitor all spells being cast and they're tracking wands again, more strictly than ever."

"And ... what does that have to do with me?"

Snape pursed his lips. He paused for a single second before rising from his desk in a nervous state. "Everything. It has everything to do with you, [F/n]." 

"I don't understand." 

"They're going back over recent spells. Recent curses. They're tracking the individuals who cast them, in an attempt to locate the Death Eaters." 

You pursed your lips, tightening your chest, and holding in your breath for a second. You placed your bag slowly back down onto the desk.

"Which means ... " You cleared your throat momentarily, "I don't understand." 

"Yes, you do, [F/n]."

"No." You snapped. "I don't." 

Snape sighed, turning away again. "Your use of the curses was perhaps more common than that of the Death Eaters, [F/n]."