The Plan

"Draco Malfoy has been missing for the past three weeks, as you all may know. It has been brought to my attention that he is staying with his family - "

The hall began to whisper. Everyone knew who the Malfoys were; what they were doing. Now, they knew - they thought they knew - who Draco's loyalties lied with. Were they surprised? Not so much, no. Nonetheless, there is a painful difference between assuming the truth, and knowing the truth. To assume Draco's working with Death Eaters - being a Death Eaters - is not quite the same as knowing that he is. 

"You know where he is," Blaise whispered into your ear from behind you. You pursed your lips, keeping your eyes steady on the front of the Great Hall, your eyes firmly on Snape, not responding to Blaise. He continued, "You know what he's up to too, don't you?"

"Do you believe he has betrayed us?" You finally whispered, keeping your eyes still on Snape as he spoke to the crowd, your arms crossed and folded, face stern and serious. 

"No." Blaise replied quietly. "I know he wouldn't do that."

"Then," you finally turned around slightly, facing Blaise completely, "I do know where he is, and I do know what he is up to."

Blaise scanned your face for some more moments, scrutinising it carefully. Finally, he sighed, exasperated, before shaking his head. "You're up to something too."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I know that look, Potter."

"What look?"

"You're slick, but you're not that slick. Both you and Draco ... you're both planning ... doing something." He said, to which you did not respond, prompting him to talk more. "Why do you refuse to tell us?"

"Us?"

"Well ... Weasley and I. And, of course, there's people like your brother too and that group. Weasley's brother and the girl."

You sighed, gulping. Your throat remained tightened as you ran your fingers along the other hand slowly, distracting your uncomfortable thoughts. Realising that you could not hide much for longer, you decided to say as so: "I have an idea. I do. Only Draco, however, knows it ... because I believe he's the only one who does not crave righteousness."

"Righteousness? Are you planning to kill us all?"

"No. Kind of."

"Kind of?" He gasped dramatically, within humour. 

"I have a plan ... but people who are the heroes of the story ... they will not agree to it. Only Draco, who has never been obsessed with being the good guy or saviour, only he understands why it must be done. Why, I believe, only this way can we truly destroy Voldemort."

"May I know?"

"Are you obsessed with righteousness, Mr Zabini?" You asked, your lips curling at the edges.

"Judge for yourself, Miss Potter." He added, his lips mimicking yours. 

Perhaps your circle of trust could be extended. A little bit, at least. 

That night, you weren't the only one who left for the Astronomy Tower. As you made your way through the common room in the usual manner, in your slippers and the jacket on, the pen in your pocket, the door to the boys' dorm gently opened and Blaise revealed himself, quietly closing the door behind himself and sneaking over to you as quietly as he could. No words were exchanged - you could not risk waking anyone up. It was simply mutually understood as you nodded at each other and headed through the doors, up the stairs, exiting the dungeons, and finally completely making your way up all the stairs into the highest part of Hogwarts.