Best Friends

You watched Draco's eyes and the utmost care in which he looked upon your hand. He looked so calm, so relaxed, so careful. His fingers, too, were as soft and caring as fingers can be; they were like little cushions, little pillows, as they touched your skin. You watched his lips, the way in they remained in their normal position, and their beautiful rosy colour. He licked his lips - he was trying his hardest to focus. His jaw remained softened, and his eyebrows neutral. 

With care, he set the old bandage aside, after having undone it. You watched him perform all these tasks. He did not look at you; his entire focus was on caring for you. Yet, the more you looked at him, the more you fell in love. The more your little heart beat, the more your butterflies rose. You'd been playing around with Draco Malfoy for two years now, and you weren't even in an official relationship anymore, but you were in love with him, and, most of all, you had a crush on him. Still. Your heart still fluttered when he was around, your excitement and thrill grew, your smile rose, you still wanted to look good for him, you still sometimes got nervous - in the best way possible. You still had a little, teenage crush on him. 

"Oh, [F/n]," he tutted quietly. 

You did not respond. You only watched him. The way he lifted the disinfectant, dabbing it on your wound, before carefully wrapping a fresh bandage on your fist. He tightened it warily, awaiting any reaction from you, ensuring it wasn't too tight, before then wrapping it up properly. 

"You're all good to go."

You looked at him again, at his eyes, as he looked back at you. 

"Thank you." 

"Why use your fist?" He asked, tucking your hair behind your ear. "As if you couldn't have used your wand, or even your sword to break it open." 

"Never crossed my mind."

"Never does, does it?" He smiled softly, keeping his hand on your cheek, gently stroking it with his thumb, as he looked down at your lips. 

"I'm your best friend, am I?" You asked with a laugh, recalling Draco calling you his best friend to Astoria just some hours ago. 

"Of course you're my best friend. I don't get along with anyone as well as I get along with you. I don't have fun with anyone like I have fun with you. I love you in every way I possibly can."

"Then," you inhaled, taking his hand within yours and gently pressing it against your lips, planting a kiss on his skin, before speaking against his hand, looking into his hand, "if we cannot be together for the time being, we shall be best friends. We shall do best friend things." 

"Best friend things." He could not help but laugh. 

"We'll gossip together, and we'll go and get coffee together, we'll laugh together, we'll mock each other, we'll study together, and we'll do all the things that best friends do." 

"We did all of that." He grinned. "Plus the sexual things." 

"We can't." 

He nodded. "I know." 

"I want to. But it's a huge risk."

"I know," he whispered, "as long as I can still be your best friend, I don't mind." 

"A Potter and a Malfoy best friends, who would've thought? Very well." 

So, for the next few days, since you could not be in a relationship with Draco Malfoy, you became best friends with him. Your rule was to break up with him. Being best friends with him was not off limits. And so, looks were always cast when, despite your break up, everyone would see the two of you sitting together casually, studying together, laughing together, throwing paper at each other, making paper airplanes together, gossiping, judging, mocking.