• Arranged Marriage •

this was inspired by taylor swift's song: tolerate it
-

You placed a cup of coffee on the table near him, where he could reach out for it easily while reading his book. Severus looked up from his book and gazed at you, but before you could give him a smile, his gaze was already back on the interesting pages of his book again. He gave you a curt nod, thanking you quietly as he did not even hold his gaze on you for long.

You chewed on your bottom lip, trying to push your pain away from your mind. You went to sit on a chair across him, watching as he read his book with his head down. He looked so focus with his reading, and you took this chance to admire his handsome features. A smile found its way on your face as you thought of how grateful you were to have him as your husband. Sadly, you could not say the same for him. You never knew if he was happy to have you as his wife, and your smile dropped at the thought.

You quickly pushed the dreading thought away from your mind, and continued to watch Severus in admiration. Oh, how you wished he would notice your loving and longing gaze. He moved on to the next page, not even once, he looked up to glance at you.

You wanted him to read out to you. You thought it would be nice to have your husband reading for you, and you would listen to his silky and deep voice, which was able to make you swoon over him every time. It was your childhood dream to have a sweet moment like that when you got married, but you were not sure if you would be able to experience it with Severus.

-
I sit and watch you reading with your head low
I wake and watch you breathing with your eyes closed
I sit and watch you
I notice everything you do or don't do
You're so much older and wiser, and I
-

An arranged marriage did this to you. It ruined every single dream that you had created when you were a child. You always hoped that when the time comes, you would find a man and fall in love deeply with him, just as he would fall in love with you. Then, both of you would get married willingly, eager to live a shared life together and nothing could stop you and your husband from achieving happiness.

However, your dreams were stolen. As the youngest Malfoy, the Dark Lord wanted to marry you off with a Death Eater, in exchange of you never getting the dark mark. Your brother was worried sick, he told you that it would better to get into an arranged marriage rather than to have the dark mark burned on your skin. You agreed to it, because you did not want to bear the dark mark either.

Severus was chosen. Lucius did not trust anyone else but his friend. He practically begged for Severus to agree, so that he did not have to marry you off to another Death Eater, who would just bring devastation and pain upon you. The professor's heart was heavy, knowing that he would only ever love one person in his life. Nevertheless, Severus agreed to marry you, for the sake of Lucius and of course, to protect you from the prying eyes and the dirty hands of the other Death Eaters.

-
I wait by the door like I'm just a kid
Use my best colors for your portrait
Lay the table with the fancy sh-
And watch you tolerate it
If it's all in my head, tell me now
Tell me I've got it wrong somehow
I know my love should be celebrated
But you tolerate it
-

You always woke up early in the morning. Usually, your husband would already be awake at the moment you opened your eyes, and he would be preparing breakfast for you in silence. It was one thing that made you feel appreciated, and loved; even if deep within your heart, you knew that he was not in love with you.

However, in mornings when you woke up and he was still in bed, you would stay and watch him sleep. He looked so peaceful and calm, so different when he was awake. You knew he had burden on his shoulders, and sometimes you wished he would tell you but he never did.