• Not That Bad •

Severus was in his second year when he felt something he had never felt before. He was sitting in the Great Hall when he saw her for the first time. His friends were loud, but he could hear nothing they said as his eyes were fixed on her as she walked into the hall along with the other first years.

That day, he was not eager to witness the Sorting Ceremony, as he was not waiting for anyone to come through the door. He just nodded as his friends told him about their siblings and wanting them to be in the same house as them, or not. Being the only child, which Severus was grateful for as he never wanted any other child to go through what he had to, Severus was not looking forward to the ceremony.

However, as his eyes landed on the girl, he lost his words. He did not know what it was, but he felt warmed and fuzzy inside as she caught his eyes and smiled at him. It was only for a mere second, but it was enough to send Severus into thinking what was happening to his poor heart. It was beating so fast that he was afraid it would drop to the floor.

His eyes never left her figure as she smiled at people around her, trying to find some comfort in the new place. Severus let his lips curled into a small smile, but soon it turned upside down once he heard her name.

"Y/N Lupin."

Severus frowned, and he just noticed that he was not the only one who was staring at her. A group of Gryffindors that he despised so much was watching her too, wanting to know which house would she be placed in.

Disappointment was swarming his chest as he looked back at her, who had her eyes on her brother. Out of all people in Hogwarts, she just had to be Remus Lupin's little sister. Severus cursed himself for almost letting himself fall for her charm when he convinced himself that she was no different than her brother and his friends.

A Hufflepuff. She was sorted into Hufflepuff.

Somehow Severus was relieved she was not in Gryffindor.

. . .

He tried to forget her, he tried so hard to forget how sweet her smile was but he could not. Severus did not see her again after the Sorting Ceremony, and he did not even dare to look at her table during meals as he was afraid she would haunt his dreams even more.

It was suffocating him, as he wanted to forget her but he could not. He hated this feeling. It was controlling him and it did not help when he kept reminding himself that she was Lupin's sister. Why would he waste his time on her?

But fate was messing around with him, or so it seemed. When he did not want to see her, he noticed her trying to find her way to her next class. Severus knitted his eyebrows together and thought that he should just let her be and leave. But something was pulling him to help her, or he would regret it for the rest of his life.

Severus was walking towards her, nerves were wrecking his soul as he tried to think of what to say. She could not find her class, and he had to help her. Perhaps it could turn into something better. Maybe he could be her friend?

His heart dropped and he stopped dead on his track when James Potter came, noticing Y/N and offered her help first before Severus could.

He bit the inside of his cheeks as she smiled at Potter, nodding vigorously as he talked to her. Perhaps she was just close with him because of Remus, but Severus did not care. To him, she was one of them, and Severus wanted nothing to do with her.

. . .

It was not hard to avoid Y/N as she was a year below him and she was not in his house. Severus managed to survive three years, watching her from afar, without even thinking to talk to her.