• Never Enough •

"50 points to y/h."

Everyone was expecting it as Snape questioned you, and as always, you got the answer right. He was never the one to ask you questions just to prove your foolishness, but it was merely because he knew you could answer him and you were not raising your hand to do so.

You smiled as your classmates from your house gave you a knowing look, thanking you silently for being the source of house points during Potions, while other houses kept losing their points during Professor Snape's class.

To say that your classmates were not despising you for being at the top of the class would be an understatement, but the house points were not enough for them to glare at you, their eyes soon landed on you bitterly when Snape continued to praise you.

"Good job, Miss L/N."

His voice was stern and cold, but pride was lying underneath it, making your smile widen. Professor Snape never praised his students, but you were the only exception and they all noticed it. He would just continue to teach, ignoring the fact that everyone was wondering why he had a soft spot on you, with them not knowing that he could read you like a book.

Your fire to continue the day was blazing after hearing his kind words. As a person who grew up thinking that you were not good enough, his words never failed to inspire you. Sometimes you relied on his impression too much, knowing that your teacher was the only person who had ever shown appreciation towards you. It was ironic for you to be supported by the most feared professor in Hogwarts, but it was true. 

You were walking back to your common room with your friends when Snape found you, stopping you dead on your tracks. You wondered if you ever did anything wrong during his class that day, but as you recalled, you thought that you were not at fault.

"Follow me, Miss L/N."

He did not give you any chance to question him as he started to walk back to his office, with you hot on his tail. You tried to keep up with his pace, his long strides were making it harder for you but he waited as you were a few steps behind him, opening his office door for you and shutting it as soon as both of you were inside.

You stood awkwardly as he sat in his chair, his eyes bored into yours as if he was seeing what was inside your head. He gestured on the chair across his table, and you frowned, knowing that this would not just be a short meeting, as he was asking you to take a seat.

"Did I do something wrong, Professor?"

You asked, taking a seat with hesitation. Severus leaned back against his chair, his eyes never leaving yours as his next words make you gulped in fear and worry.

"Did you, Miss L/N?"

You knew you did not do anything wrong in school, but you were still worried. You were on your best behaviour for the sake of retaining your parents' good reputation, and you would be screwed if your parents heard about your mishap, if you ever caused one.

"For once, can you please forget about your parents' reputation and focus on yours?"

Your eyes grew wide at his question, as realisation dawned upon you that your teacher was reading your thoughts, and he had been doing it for quite some time. You shifted in your seat, a little bit uncomfortable to talk about your parents.

"I don't have a reputation, Professor."

You muttered, dropping your gaze on your lap. You always thought that you were nothing without them, and their words affect your life tremendously, making you stay in your shell, afraid to step out and do something that was out of their high expectations.