• Yule Ball •

"Severus!"

You called out for the Potions Master who was walking to his office. He stopped dead on his track at your voice, but he did not turn around to look at you.

You were internally grateful that he stopped walking. You were practically running after him as his steps were larger than yours and it was hard to match his pace. You went towards him and flashed him a smile.

"What can I do to help you, Professor L/N?"

He asked, and you knew he was fighting an urge to roll his eyes. You knew him way too well to realise that he was annoyed.

"Have you heard of the Yule Ball?"

Both of you started to walk side by side, and you loved it. You always tried to talk to him in every chance you got but he seemed to be unperturbed by your effort to be closer to him. You were attracted to the professor for quite some time now, and it was not an exaggeration to say that you were falling in love.

"Yes. It is not a big deal."

He responded, and you were kind of disappointed. You were very excited to be there, and you wanted him as your date.

"Are you going to the Yule Ball?"

"Of course. Last time I checked, we're teachers here and the Yule Ball is held here too."

He retorted, raising his eyebrows and you would be a fool if you did not hear the irritation in his voice.

"Who are you asking to the Yule Ball?"

Despite the bitterness of his voice, you pushed yourself to give him a smile. He gave you a look of disbelief and you knew he was going to say something to tick you off.

"I don't need a date, Professor L/N. Those stupid things are for the immature students. But if you want to join in, please spare me the embarrassment."

He scoffed, rolling his eyes dramatically. You were a tad bit hurt at his words, to say the least. You nodded weakly and forced a smile, which Severus immediately recognised that it was not a genuine one.

"Alright, then. I completely understand."

Your voice was small, almost as if you were ashamed to be standing in front of him.

"I'm sorry for taking your time."

You apologised, and for once, Severus did not see a smile on your face. A frown has taken over your features and he watched with questions in his head as you left.

You walked away with a heavy heart. How imprudent you could be to think that you could go to the Yule Ball with Severus Snape?

It did not make sense at all as he thought that the whole idea of the ball was absurd, let alone taking a date to the ball. You shouldn't have put such high expectations, hoping that he would ask you to go with him.

You cursed yourself as now you were sure that you looked like a fool in his eyes. A fool who was falling for him, and yet, he never noticed. Of course, he did not. Why would he ever noticed you? He would not even spare you a second glance.

"Y/N!"

You were shook from your train of thoughts when somebody called you. You cracked a smile when you saw Remus walked over to you.

"Yes, Remus?"

"Are you heading to the Great Hall?"

He asked, and you nodded. He let you know that he was heading the same way, thus both of you walked together to the Great Hall. For a moment, you had forgotten that you just got rejected by Severus Snape.