• Don't Make Me Choose (1) •

young! severus snape x reader (x young! lucius malfoy)
-

"How was your day?"

You asked, plopping down on the couch next to your best friend who was looking glum. Severus groaned and shook his head violently.

"The worst."

You frowned at his answer and put your hand on his shoulder, his eyes slowly landed on you.

"I'm so sorry to hear that. Wanna tell me about it?"

Severus nodded and you smiled at him, urging him to go on and tell you about his day. You had a bad day too. Since morning, you were dying to go back the common room to see Severus and tell him all about it. But now you could not care less about yourself, your focus was on Severus.

You just wanted to make him feel better. 

However, you wondered if you could do that when all he did was talk about Lily all the time. Your heart ached but you still smiled, unable to break your friend's heart even if he was breaking yours.

You knew Severus was in love with her. There was nothing you could do about it. You wished you could because you were in love with him. Your heart swelled in joy every time he was with you, but knowing that he only saw you as a friend, you decided to bury your feelings deep within your fragile heart.

But you had to admit that sometimes it hurts. It stung when he talked so highly of her as if you had never existed. It pained you to know that Severus was jealous of Potter who had Lily's heart.

And there you were, pretending as if you were not hurt at all by his doings.

"Enough about me. What about your day?"

Severus sighed, he seemed to notice that you were not too keen on listening to him. You loved his voice, but sometimes you wished it wasn't Lily's name that he spoke so often.

"My day? Oh, it was good."

You answered, faking a smile that your friend was oblivious enough not to notice that it was not genuine.

Sometimes you cursed yourself for being a fool, waiting for someone who would never love you back. Why were you pining over Severus Snape like he was the only person left on this world?

You came from a prestigious pureblood family. Yes, you were kind and humble to everyone but still, your family reputation got you keeping your head up and every step of your way must be graceful and pleasing.

Many boys fancied you, hoping that they could be your suitor. They thought that you were beautiful, intelligent and gentle— What a wonderful lover you would be. And yet, you only had your eyes on Severus. How stupid were you to fall in love with somebody who did not even look at you as more than a friend.

"Severus, do you really love Lily?"

You asked, as Severus was still talking. You had no idea what he talked about. Your mind was tired, and you needed a break. Your friend was surprised but then he nodded.

"Yes, I do."

"Do you love me?"

Severus frowned, but he nodded.

"You're my friend, Y/N. Of course I love you."

You chewed on your bottom lip and swallowed. There you were, a friend, nothing would happen between you and him. But still, you dared to ask him.

"What if you have to choose? Between me and her?"

"Y/N, don't make me choose—"

"Why? Because you'll choose her?"