• Never Her •

You were extremely excited to start your day, hoping that the students would not do anything to mess with your jocular mood. But as soon as you walked into the Great Hall, your smile quickly turned into a frown when you saw Severus sat next to the new Herbology professor, who was talking to him about something that you could not hear from where you stood.

You smiled when you felt Severus' gaze on you, and he gestured to the other seat next to him, wanting you to sit beside him like you always did. Your heart was at ease a little bit, knowing that he saved a seat for you. The Herbology professor stopped talking when she saw you, and you cringed internally when she scowled at you.

"Morning, Professor Cole."

You greeted her with a smile, ignoring the scowl on her face as soon as you sat next to Severus. The Potions Master gave you a nod, a small smile was plastered on his face when he saw you, and it did not go unnoticed by the new professor who questioned why Severus only smiled at you.

"Morning, Professor L/N. It's good to know that you're not skipping breakfast, considering how late you came today."

She said, her annoyance was as clear as the sky. She had only been teaching here for a few months, but you could tell that she despised you from the way she behaved around you. You just shrugged her off, not wanting to say something that you might regret later.

"Y/N is a punctual person, Professor Cole. I believe she has a good reason to be late today."

Severus defended you, and you chuckled under your breath when he called you by your first name, seeing the anger in the new professor's eyes.

"You're right, Severus. Some students asked me for help just now. I couldn't just let them be."

You replied, and your conversation with Severus started naturally, leaving Professor Cole with her thoughts. You could not help but feel relieved when he talked to you instead of the other professor. You knew you had no right to be jealous, Severus was not yours, but you would be lying if you say that you had no feelings for him and you would not let the new professor take him away from you.

However, you knew how hard it was when Cole was not giving up to have Severus' attention on her. She was always on his tail, even when he was going to see you after classes, and he did not know how to make her stop following him. He was getting tired seeing her face, and no matter how harsh he was with her, she stood on her ground to have his attention.

Nevertheless, Severus never said anything to you about her, making you feel as if he was preferring her company instead of yours. You reminded yourself that you had no right to be jealous over her, thinking that it was absurd if Severus ever returned your feelings, now that he had Professor Cole by his side who seemed to be better than you in everything. At least, that was what your foolish heart was telling you.

It was not unusual for you to visit him in his office, sometimes you would stay there until it was very late, just talking to him. You loved to spend your time with him, listening to his intelligence when he talked and laughing at his snarky remarks, never failed to humour you with his demeanours that other people would be intimidated with.

But that day, you were disappointed when you found Professor Cole in his office, and you started to think that your time with him was not special anymore that she was there. Severus was happy to see you, wishing that you could stay with him so that Cole would leave him but his heart was wrecked as he saw your smile dropped, the gleam in your eyes was nowhere to be found.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt anything—"

"No, Y/N. We were just talking about ingredients that I need for my potions."