Chapter fifty six - A new beginning

It was you who noticed the Bifrost open first.

A few people at the back of the crowd turned to look at the spinning Observatory, but no one paid it more than a few moments notice before turning back to the play. Initially you did too, before sensing that something was wrong. Your time on Asgard with Loki had gone suspiciously smoothly; you were ready for the near perfect reality you had built yourselves to come crashing down around you at any moment. Loki had noticed your disinterest in the play.

What is it?

I'm not sure yet.

The connection between your minds was still as strong as ever. You heard him in your head as though he'd spoken directly into your ear.

Stood behind the chaise lounge upon which Loki (disguised as Odin) was sat, sipping his wine and watching his play, you shifted in annoyance. He'd seen it numerous times before but never seemed to tire of it, unlike you. You were sick to the back teeth of the stupid thing. Not that you would ever let on.

Now you were stood waiting to discreetly try and peer over your shoulder to see who had arrived through via Bifrost. People started to mutter so you turned back to the play, scowling. Posing as one of Odin's maids had been the easiest way to allow the relationship you and Loki had to continue while he acted as king, but it also meant that you actually had to work (sometimes), and maintain the façade of a maid.

You had spent the past year living in the castle, by day acting as a maid, visiting your parents (who were overjoyed that you were now living on Asgard) and training to sword fight with Sif and the Warriors Three, and by night sneaking from your chambers and about the castle (sometimes beyond) with Loki. You learnt to function on very little sleep, and to ignore jealous accusations from some of the others that you were 'Odin's favourite'. Maids weren't usually seen learning to swordfight, or let off of their duties so easily. A year had changed you drastically; your Asgardian clothes and armour felt more natural then any clothes you'd ever worn on Midgard, and you were almost as adept with a sword than even your own magic. Armed with both, you were an almost unstoppable force on the battlefield, something you had learnt on your visit back to Midgard when the Avengers had needed your help saving Sokovia. The Avengers becoming fugitives had been an excellent excuse for you to return back to Asgard, to Loki, and luckily Thor hadn't followed.

It hadn't been an entirely easy year: yours and Loki's views when it came to politics (and massive, golden statues) hadn't exactly been harmonious, and you'd almost been caught more than a few times. But you didn't want anything to change. The connection between you and he had only grown stronger in the past year, and Asgard was your home; you loved living here more than anything. The guilt you felt for lying to your parents and friends about Loki's death, and most of all lying to Thor about Loki posing as king, wasn't quite strong enough for you to give it all up. At least Thor and the team back on Midgard knew Loki was alive; you hadn't been prepared to lie about that to them.

Suddenly there was a small commotion behind you, and you turned to see Thor muscling his way through the crowd carrying a large horned skull draped in chains, of all things. The jolt of shock which shot through you was so powerful it caused Loki to turn and look at you in alarm.

What?

People were staring; and he forced a smile and turned back around as if nothing was wrong. You cast an illusion subtly, changing your face until you no longer looked like yourself and praying none of your friends stood around you would notice.

At that moment the play came to an end, and Loki stood up with his arms spread wide in delight, applauding loudly with the rest of the crowd.

"Father."