Chapter twenty six - In which you ruin a party

Author's note: Hey guys, I'll apologise now... here's chapter twenty six, enjoy! ;)

...

An hour later, you were feeling a lot better. Granted, you'd probably had a few more drinks than was sensible in your position, but you were doing fine so far. You'd been dancing in the next room across from the lobby which had basically been turned into a nightclub for about an hour, maybe more and despite the fact that you were technically on a serious mission, you were having a great time. You weren't having any trouble keeping up the illusion, your stilettos had been discarded long ago and you were feeling fine. In fact, you were feeling great.

Mid-song, you spotted Nat over at the bar, who discreetly nodded for you to join her, and you reluctantly departed from the dancing crowd to see what she wanted.

"I don't suppose you can hear us with that racket going on?" she asked, tapping her earpiece.

"No, sorry, did you want me?" you replied, deciding not to mention that you'd taken your earpiece out earlier.

"Yeah, how drunk is Ricci? Can you get him out the back without raising suspicion or should we give him a few more shots?"

"Uh, I reckon he's pretty far gone already, but a few more shots wouldn't hurt." you suggested, looking over to Ricci who was currently dancing with another girl.

"Right." Nat said, gesturing to the bartender for a round of shots.

"Take some of these to him, and find me again when you reckon it's time. Do you know how you're gonna get him out back?"

"I'll just say I need to show him something." you shrugged, picking up the shots and going to drink one yourself, but Nat put her hand over the top of the glass.

"You've had too much already, we can't risk it Y/N."

"You're right. Okay, I'll take these to him, stay here so I can find you in a bit." you said to her, before making your way through the dancing crowd back to Ricci with the shots.

"Babe!" you yelled, trying to attract his attention away from the brunette he was currently dancing with.

"Oh hey! Are these for me? Legend!" Ricci yelled, downing all four shots one after the other and handing you back the empty glasses before turning away again.

"He seems like a good boyfriend." Nat observed, as you made your way back over to her and dumped the empty glasses back on the bar.

"I feel bad for Penelope, she seemed really nice."

"Before you knocked her out?"

"That was Loki, not me."

You tried to sit down next to Nat but she shook her head and turned your shoulders back towards the dancefloor.

"It'll look suspicious if you're not out there having a good time. Go find some men to dance with, try and win Ricci's attention back."

You scowled, knowing she was right, and headed back on to the dancefloor. You had no trouble finding some men to dance with, or rather, Penelope had no trouble. You wondered what it was like to have men constantly looking at you like they looked at Penelope – must be nice. After about ten more minutes of dancing and looking pretty, you felt a possessive arm slide around your waist and reluctantly turned to find yourself pressed right up against Ricci, who incidentally smelt strongly of vodka and whose eyes were bloodshot.

"What do you think you're doing dancing with these guys, hm?" he muttered in your ear, and you instinctively felt annoyed for Penelope.

"What were you doing dancing with that brunette just now, hm?" you replied, mimicking his tone and hoping you hadn't pushed it too far. Luckily, it didn't seem like you had.