Chapter twenty one - In which you jump out of a window

Author's note: Hey guys, sorry I'm posting so late again, quarantine has really messed up my sleep schedule (like, more than usual). Here's chapter twenty one, don't forget I'm three chapters ahead on my AO3 account if you want more! Hope you enjoy, almost at 2k reads eekkk thank you all so much <3

...

Get to the window.

That was your only thought as you unleashed your pent-up fear and anger on these people who had kidnapped you with no remorse, your only goal to escape this hell hole. You didn't know how high up you were, or how far the fall would be, but it was a risk you were willing to take. Hopefully it wasn't any higher up than the ninth floor of the Avengers Tower. Loki wasn't here to heal you if things went wrong this time: you'd be on your own if that were to happen.

The guards were appearing in force now, but they were no match for you in this state, which was fast approaching pure panic. Some of them were even faltering and backing away down the corridor, presumably having seen their comrades being thrown about like rag dolls and not fancying going next. There was no time to think about not hurting them, you just needed to escape.

"Stop her!" the woman cried as you ran for the window, guessing correctly that the two guards stationed there would get out of your way as you approached them. There was no stopping you as you leapt straight through the window, closing your eyes and yelling as you smashed through the glass. It took you a second to remember that you had to break your fall with your magic as you fell, and caught yourself just in time, rolling over a few times as you hit the ground just to be sure. As you scrambled to your feet, winded but unhurt, you glanced up at the window you had fallen from. It had only been four floors up.

"She can't get away, quick, go!" that was the woman again, yelling at the guards.

You glanced around your surroundings briefly, but it was too dark to see anything apart from the looming building you'd just escaped from. Deciding that the best route was away from it, you started running blindly into the darkness, praying that the others would be here soon.

Wait, you'd forgotten about your tracker. Tony had told you to find the tracker in your suit and turn it on. You slowed to a brisk walk and started feeling around the arms and sides of your suit for... anything. Couldn't Tony have told you where the tracker was? Suddenly, your foot found a hole in the ground and you tripped, falling flat on your face having been preoccupied trying to find the stupid tracker.

You got to your feet, cursing, and stopped completely, checking over your shoulder for guards, and feeling about for your tracker again. This time you were luckier, and found a tiny cube under the fabric on your left underarm. Did you have to get it out, or could you just hit it? If you got it out you might lose it, and then you were well and truly screwed. But there was no time to stand around debating what to do, because now there were guards coming out of the building. Armed guards.

Praying that it would be enough, you hit the small cube a few times, and then broke into a sprint again, running away from the guards, towards who knew what. Exactly what you were running towards became apparent just a few seconds later, when suddenly a large metal fence, at least nine feet high with barbed wire along the top, came into view. You skidded to a stop just before hitting it, stumbling back a few steps. This was very annoying. You could blast a hole in it but that would attract the attention of the guards, who thankfully still hadn't seen you in the darkness. They'd just catch up with you on the other side if they knew where you were.

Were you really going to have to climb over this thing? Without any better ideas, you stepped up to the fence and grabbed hold of the nearest bar. Bad, bad idea. You didn't need to know many volts went through your body to work out that you were in trouble, because three seconds later you were flat on your back with the smell of burning surrounding you and a loud ringing in your ears.