Chapter fifty one - In which it really is a free holiday

When you woke up again, you felt like you were fifty feet underwater. Your limbs felt heavy and your eyes didn't want to open properly.

"Y/N?"

Loki's voice broke through your consciousness. You could hear, that was good. Loki said your name again and you opened your eyes slowly; everything came flooding back. You were still in the back of the car, but now you could feel the pain you were supposed to be feeling, if dully. To you this was a welcome feeling, not being able to feel anything had been horrible.

Suddenly you remembered the reason you'd passed out in the first place. You jerked your head up to see your leg and choked in relief when you saw that the metal pole was gone; your leg was bandaged tightly but the material was stained with blood. Where had the bandages come from?

Loki helped you to sit up; his hands were shaking. You slowly turned where you were sat and took him in, he was still deathly pale and covered in blood and brick dust. He let out a shaky laugh and pulled you towards him gently, both of you wincing from your injuries as you hugged.

I'm so sorry.

You shook your head, knowing where this was going.

Don't start.

I should've realised, I could have protected you.

You did.

Not enough. You were so quick, I barely even got a scratch.

Suddenly there was a knock on the window, making you jump.

"It's okay." Loki told you, releasing his hold on you and swinging the door open. There was a SHIELD agent stood outside, but that wasn't the bit that shocked you. It was dark and cold outside; the smell and sound of the sea engulfed you.

"What time is it? How long was I... where are we?"

Your voice was quiet and hoarse.

"You're awake." the SHIELD agent said, looking at your leg through the door.

"Yes. Hello." you replied, after clearing your throat.

"This is Agent Shawcross, he drove us to a hospital and then... here." Loki told you.

"Y/N, it is half past ten, you've been asleep for just under eight hours and we are on the south west coast of England, Cornwall." the agent told you.

"Why?"

"There's a safe house here. You're both to stay isolated here until further instructions."

You looked at Loki in disbelief. He was fighting back a smile.

"Help me out?" you asked.

He climbed out of the car and allowed you to lean on him as you clambered after him, gritting your teeth at the dull ache which seemed to reside in every particle of your being. It was windy outside of the car, and the welcoming sound of the sea was loud in your ears. After having been virtually deaf you were drinking in the smallest of noises, savouring them.

You were at the end of a long row of whitewashed, extremely modern looking houses which lined the edge of a cliff, beyond which was a steep drop into the ocean far below. It was a clear night and the moonlight was reflecting off of the pitch black water to illuminate a small beach at the base of the cliffs you were currently atop of. You could taste salt as your hair blew in tendrils across your face, obscuring your vision.

"Let's get inside, quickly." the SHIELD agent said to you, walking towards the house you were parked nearest to. On ground level there was a huge driveway and double garage doors, and a marble staircase led up to the first floor of the house where the front door was located. The agent took the stairs two at a time while extracting some keys from his pocket, while Loki helped you ascend in a much slower fashion. By the time you reached the front door Agent Shawcross was already inside, turning lights on and running the taps in the kitchen, presumably checking that the water was working.