Chapter thirty seven - In which you open your mind

Author's note: The reactions to last chapter were amazing, I spent so long on that chapter so I'm glad I seem to have got it right! And now, may I present to you: lots of fluff <3

...

Finally.

You don't know how long you stood there like that, just holding each other next to the window, but you never wanted to move. Ever. Apart from after about five minutes your arms started to cramp, so you moved to the sofa instead.

As you sat down, Loki took your hands in his and you smiled at him, only to become instantly concerned when you saw he was looking at you seriously.

"That was..." here he nodded towards where you'd been stood at the window and fought to find the words, which you couldn't help but feel quite smug about.

"Amazing." he finally concluded, looking back at you. You smiled nervously. There was a but coming.

"But I just... I need you to be sure. I need you to be certain that this is what you want, because..."

"I am." you interrupted, and he swallowed, still looking unsure.

"Are you? You've been drinking, and I don't know whether..." he was rambling; you never heard him do that before, he was usually so literate and composed. While he talked you were suddenly struck with an idea. You only hesitated for a moment before letting your mind open fully, completely, for what was perhaps the first time since you found out that Loki could hear your thoughts. You'd opened it before to communicate with him, but you'd always left some part obscured, hidden out of the way so that he didn't find out how you felt. There was hardly any need for that now. As you let go, you experienced a blissful sort of relaxation descending upon you; it was as if you'd had a headache which you hadn't realised was there, but now it was gone you felt a million times lighter.

Loki faltered in his explanation as he realised what you were doing.

"You want to know how sure I am?" you asked, feeling oddly calm about letting someone into your mind with no filter. You trusted him.

Are you sure?

You'd never heard his voice so clearly in your mind before. It made you smile. You nodded, closing your eyes, your hands still encased in his. It felt weird when he entered your mind. Not unpleasant exactly, just odd, but you soon got used to it. After a few minutes the feeling disappeared, and you opened your eyes to see Loki looking so totally shell shocked you burst out laughing.

"I... you – since...?" he stuttered, staring at you in disbelief, and you just nodded, unable to stop smiling. After a few more seconds of this he abruptly pulled you towards him and kissed you again, and ten minutes ago you wouldn't have thought it possible but this time might have even been better than the first. Time became extraordinarily irrelevant while you were kissing him, so again you weren't sure how long it lasted for, only when he pulled away this time you would have much rather he hadn't have.

You made a noise of protest and opened your eyes; he was frowning in concentration, listening?

What is it?

Someone's coming.

"Shit."

This you said aloud in a sort of shout-whisper, and made to get up from the sofa, but Loki pulled you back down swiftly and you felt an illusion descend over the two of you as the sound of footsteps reached your ears. You were half lying down, practically on top of Loki on the sofa, now invisible, and you had to bite your lip to stop yourself from laughing when you thought of what Tony would think if he knew what was going on. Oh no. What was Tony going to say? Actually, you knew exactly what he was going to say.