Chapter forty nine - In which you travel to London

Two SHIELD agents were waiting for you on the roof alongside a helicopter. They introduced themselves as Alfie and Sienna, and then you were climbing into the helicopter and being flown away from the tower and towards who knew where. Alfie explained that you were being taken to a SHIELD base on the other side of Manhattan, where you would board a private jet and fly to Washington D.C., where you would then become Michelle, get a taxi to the airport and fly with a commercial airline to London. Your brain struggled to keep up; you still felt as though you'd just gotten out of bed.

The helicopter journey was short, which was a good thing because you weren't enjoying it all that much: it was really loud and the headphones you'd been given to wear were too large and kept slipping. The view, however, almost made it worth it. You tried not to think about the fact that Loki was right now in one of the tiny cars moving around far below you, heading towards the JFK airport.

It didn't work. At least you weren't experiencing the horrible tugging feeling you used to get whenever the two of you separated.

A feeling of relief settled over you when you started descending to land on a runway outside what must have been the other SHIELD base Alfie had spoken of.

You weren't sure what you'd been expecting, but it wasn't to be ushered swiftly from the helicopter you'd arrived in and straight on to a private jet waiting less than forty feet away. Inside was none other than Nick Fury himself.

"What are you doing here?" you asked, trying to hide your incredulation as you looked about the luxurious interior of the plane. Everything was white, including the leather seats, save for the carpet and tables, which were light brown.

"Y/N, pleasant as ever to see you." Fury acknowledged you, gesturing for you to sit in the seat opposite him. Alfie and Sienna disappeared into the cockpit; apparently they were trained pilots as well as agents.

"Sorry. I wasn't expecting to see you." you told Fury.

"Evidently. I came to wish you good luck."

You stopped in your tracks. This was very unlike Fury. There had to be an ulterior motive at play here somewhere. He raised his eyebrows, seeming to guess what you were thinking.

"This is a very important mission. Although Loki is still considered a liability..." here you set your jaw unwittingly, "he has been working for us for a while now. He knows what he's doing. You, however..."

"I know what I'm doing. I've imitated people before, on missions and not. One time I imitated Bucky for a whole afternoon, you should have seen Steve's face when..." you trailed off. Wrong audience.

"This is your chance to pull out of this operation. You must understand that if this goes wrong, SHIELD could be massively compromised." Fury stressed, staring at you intently with his one visible eye.

"They won't catch us."

"And if they do..."

"They won't."

You said this with a conviction which was almost unwavering. Ninety percent of you was sure that you wouldn't get caught, and the other ten percent just didn't want to think about what might happen to you if you were found out. And Loki...

"Good. Don't let it happen." Fury said after a long pause, turning to look out of the window. You were surprised when you looked out of the window and the world outside was moving, having not even noticed the engines starting up.

"Uh, aren't you supposed to be getting off before we take off?" you asked Fury.

"No. I'm going to D.C. anyway today; it makes sense to travel together." he told you, reaching to fasten his seatbelt. A feeling of dismay settled over you. You'd been looking forward to having a whole hour of luxury to yourself. And instead...