Chapter sixty nine - Peter Parker

You launched yourself at Maw, a raw, furious scream tearing itself from your throat as you flew towards him surrounded by a pulsing field of magic, the strength of which you'd never felt anything like before.

You were going to kill him.

Maw looked shocked for a second, before quickly regaining his composure and throwing his arms up to create a shield with a spike he pulled from the earth. You smashed through it effortlessly and grabbed him by the throat, slamming him to the floor.

He. Is. Not. Dead.

You punctuated each word with a fist to his chest, face and torso, your magic surging from you and pinning him to the floor until he found the strength to shove you away from him, hard. Incensed as you were, he was a hundred times more powerful than you.

You were thrown backwards through the air and slammed into the wall of a building. The breath was knocked out of you as you fell to the floor.

Maw got up and flew down the street towards Strange, barely giving you a second glance. You struggled to your feet.

"Kid! What the hell was that?! Are you okay?" Tony yelled, landing next to you in his Iron Man suit. You couldn't speak, couldn't breathe, unable to rid your mind of the blank expression on Loki's face.

"Kid?"

"I'm fine, let's go." you managed, pointing down the street. Maw couldn't be allowed to get his hands on the Time stone. Tony hesitated, then picked you up and flew after him, dodging the obstacles which were being flung back towards you, until the huge creature with the hammer made a reappearance and knocked you off course with an almighty strike of his weapon.

You threw up a shield of magic around yourself and Tony as you smashed into and then out the other side of a building, ending up slamming into the base of a tree in a park.

Bruce rushed over to you.

"Guys, you okay? How are we doing? Good? Bad?"

"Really, really good. Really good. Do you plan on helping out?" Tony asked, getting up gingerly and pulling you to your feet.

"I'm trying, he won't come out." Bruce said in defeat.

"Uh, that thing with the hammer is back." you informed Tony, gasping for breath and pointing across the park as the creature lobbed its hammer towards you.

"Hammer." Tony said, shoving Bruce out of the way and sending an energy beam towards the creature, which deflected off its shield and sliced down a load of trees, one of which you and Bruce barely evaded being crushed by.

"Come on Hulk, what are you doing to me? Come out! Come out!" Bruce yelled, lying on the floor and slapping himself across the face as you struggled to your feet, casting around for Tony.

You spotted him a few feet away, having just been knocked down by the huge creature who looked like he was about to deliver a decisive blow to Tony's head. Barely having enough time to lift your hands, you were relieved when the hammer was halted in its tracks by a small figure dressed in red and blue gear. From where you were stood you couldn't see the spider painted across the front of the kid's chest.

"Hey man, what's up Mr. Stark?" the kid said cheerfully, as though he wasn't wrestling with one of Thanos' minions.

"Kid, where'd you come from?" Tony asked. You stared at him indignantly. Kid? That was your nickname! Where had this child come from indeed?

"Field trip to MoMA." the kid said, before being picked up and flung away by the creature with a yell. You took your opportunity to blast the creature with your magic, throwing him backwards into a tree which was torn from the ground as it smashed into it.