Chapter thirty nine - In which you get caught

Author's note: hey guys, I've decided to move update day to Monday because I'm bored and we all need a bit of cheering up on a Monday am I right? I can't believe this story is almost at 50k I love you all uwu <3 I hope you enjoy this chapter ! (also I made a twitter account while I was bored, follow me my user is elsmissesloki, naturally ;))

...

The next few days leading up to New Year's Eve and the party passed in a blur. You'd never been so happy; like the rest of the world the days in between Christmas and New Year's in the Avengers Tower consisted of doing absolutely nothing apart from watching reruns of Christmas films, eating and sleeping. You'd suggested training a couple of times to Nat who had said that you would 'tomorrow', but you just never seemed to get round to it. You couldn't say you minded, particularly.

You also still hadn't got around to telling the others about the situation with you and Loki, but you didn't want to ruin the blissful atmosphere which had been gracing the tower recently. Besides, you suspected that at least half of them already knew, and Loki wasn't exactly eager to share this information with anyone. You'd been snatching moments together when you could, but it wasn't often; someone was always around and when they weren't you were constantly listening out for footsteps. Which is why the last couple of nights you'd been sneaking into Loki's room after everyone had gone to bed to make up for the time you weren't getting to spend alone with each other during the day. It was completely innocent, but you knew that Tony would have a fit if he found out about it. Loki had reassured you that he wouldn't fall asleep so that if Tony did come knocking for whatever reason or there was a mission, he could get you back in your room before he realised anything was off.

You'd been staying awake with him until the early hours of the morning talking about anything and everything, and then falling asleep only to wake up back in your own bed later that morning. Last night, however, you had tried to get a full night's sleep because tomorrow was New Year's and you had a strong feeling that there would not be a lot of sleeping going on.

You woke up early on the last day of the year, having gone to sleep earlier than you had in a long time last night, and were surprised to find yourself still in Loki's room. Loki was lying on his back with his eyes shut, one arm around you and one arm behind his head.

"You said you wouldn't fall asleep." you mumbled into his chest, shifting closer to him. His arm tightened around you and he ran his cool fingers lightly over your back.

I'm not asleep, nor have I been. I'm resting.

Spending so much time alone together had taken its toll on your communication skills, sometimes you'd be talking aloud and gradually lapse into talking through your minds instead, without even realising you'd done so until five minutes later.

Why am I still in here then?

Because I'm quite enjoying this, if that's alright with you.

You smiled, humming your agreement.

However, my arm has been dead for about three hours. Can we swap sides?

You fell back asleep after swapping sides for a few hours, and only woke up again because Loki woke you.

"The others will wake up soon." he told you, untangling himself from you, and you reluctantly got up and crept invisibly back to your room across the hall.

Half an hour later you were showered, dressed and having breakfast in the kitchen with Tony, who had obviously tried and failed to sleep before the party tonight. He looked tired, as per usual as he scrolled through something on the tablet on the table in front of him. You'd inadvertently heard his thoughts, and Pepper's; you knew of the nightmares and flashbacks he had of the New York attack and the wormhole, the reasons he had such trouble sleeping. It was no surprise he was finding it hard to forgive Loki.