Chapter seventy two - Flash Gordon

You returned back to the group with Tony, who were all now stood outside the ship, making your way over to Quill who glared at you and then looked away.

"Look, I'm sorry. It's been a rough couple of days." you said to him.

"Yeah, I figured." Quill scowled, but then held out his hand, "I'm Star Lord, but call me Quill."

"Y/N." you said, taking his hand and shaking it, "I'm sorry about Gamora."

"Yeah, well. I'll find her." he replied determinedly, "And I'm sorry about... the brother."

You nodded in thanks, not knowing quite what to say. Quill looked back at the device he was holding in his hand, shaking it slightly.

"What the heck happened to this planet? It's eight degrees off its axis; gravitational pull is all over the place." he muttered. You turned to see the bug lady jumping up and down joyfully in a low gravity spot. Suddenly the blue alien Tony had been stood on was in front of you.

"My name is Drax. That over there is Mantis. You are very powerful and moderately beautiful." he said, holding out his hand.

"Uh... thanks." you said, taking his hand and blanching as he bent down to kiss it. Tony raised an eyebrow at you from behind Drax's back; Quill sighed from behind you.

"Drax, man, stop being weird."

"I am not! I'm simply paying the lady a compliment." Drax stated.

"Okay, so," Tony said loudly, coming to your rescue, "We've got one advantage. Thanos is coming to us. We'll use it. I have a plan... or at least the beginnings of one. It's pretty simple: we draw him in, pin him down, get what we need. Definitely don't wanna dance with this guy, we just want the gauntlet."

You nodded in agreement along with Peter; not seeing Drax who had just broken out into a large yawn.

"Are you yawning? In the middle of this, while I'm breaking it down? Huh? Did you hear what I said?" Tony asked him in annoyance.

"I stopped listening after you said, 'We need a plan'." Drax informed him.

"Okay, Mr. Clean is on his own page." Tony said to the rest of you in resignation.

"See, 'not winging it' isn't really what they do." Quill said to Tony.

"Uh, what exactly is it that they do?" Peter asked.

"Kick names. Take ass." Mantis chimed in, having bounced over to join in the conversation.

"Yeah, that's right." Drax agreed, moving to stand next to Mantis in a sort of battle stance. You looked at Tony; upon his face was an expression of deep hopelessness.

"Alright, just get over here, please. Mr. Lord, can you get your folks to circle up?"

"'Mr. Lord'. Star Lord is fine." Quill scoffed, motioning for Drax and Mantis to come closer.

"We gotta coalesce. 'Cause if all we come at him with is a plucky attitude..." Tony started.

"Dude, don't call us plucky. We don't know what it means. Alright, we're optimistic, yes. I like your plan... except it sucks, so let me do the plan, and that way it might be really good." Quill interrupted. Peter's expression was one of wide-eyed confusion.

"Tell him about the dance-off to save the universe." Drax said to Quill.

We're all going to die here.

You turned to look at Tony in indignation; he just shrugged as though he'd given up.

"What dance off?" Peter asked.