Chapter sixty six - Refugees

A/N: Last note for a while... I just wanna say good luck and I do love you all <3 Next chapter will probably be up tomorrow night! 

...

Hulk placed you, Thor and Valkyrie down softly and you all turned to look at the destruction which had yesterday been your home.

Home. Your parents. Were they here?

"Mother?" you called, spinning around to look at the crowd of people behind you fearfully. Everyone appeared to be in shock, which was understandable, and many people were crying, especially the children. You muscled your way through the shell-shocked crowd calling your parents' names until after a couple of minutes finally you saw them, relief coursing through you as you did.

Your mother encased you in a tight hug which didn't help the wound in your side, but your father didn't move towards you.

"I told you to stay away from him." he said coldly. He was talking about Loki.

"I'm sorry. I am so, so sorry, I shouldn't have lied." you said earnestly, your eyes filling with tears at the look on his face.

"I didn't get a chance to apologise properly to some people and... wait, have you seen Sif?" you asked suddenly, turning around to try and spot her.

"She's on the ship, we saw her earlier." your mother told you, moving back to stand with your father, some of the same look appearing in her eyes. Betrayal.

You opened your mouth to say something else, but then there was an enormous boom, and the whole ship rocked to one side, throwing everyone off balance. There were gasps and cries from the front of the crowd where Thor was stood with Val, Hulk and Heimdall looking out towards Asgard. You stumbled back through the crowd towards them; a constricted sob left you as you reached the window.

Surtur had driven his sword straight through the centre of Asgard, destroying it in an instant. It was now nothing more than thousands of chunks of rock floating through space, backlight by a bright blue light from the aftermath of the cataclysmic explosion.

Thor looked sideways at you.

"Is he okay?" he asked quietly, his voice wavering and almost breaking.

"I don't know." you whispered, your eyes not leaving the destruction in front of you. Loki wasn't on the ship, but he wasn't on Asgard anymore either... there was no Asgard left for him to be on. There was no evidence that he should be alive... apart from the fact that you weren't experiencing the pain he had described having felt when you'd died. Was this what your connection had been trying to warn you about when you'd been stood in your room? That you weren't going to see each other again?

It'll be my fault. Thor's guilty thoughts were too loud for you not to hear.

You stayed with Thor at the window long after many others had moved away, watching the remnants of Asgard get smaller and smaller as you retreated into space, trying to think of anything but Loki. Eventually Valkyrie persuaded you both to get checked over by the few Healers that were on board; they'd set up a kind of medical camp in the corner of the ships main room with the little supplies that had either been salvaged from Asgard or found aboard the ship.

You were presented with a horrible smelling balm to put on your wound and a handful of bandages before being ushered away to sort yourself out; there were people in a lot worse shape than you after having been hunted refugees hiding in the mountains for two days.

Deciding that you would find somewhere else to tend to your wounds you left the ship's main room and found a smaller, private room which looked like a cross between a bedroom and a kitchen. You removed your baldric slowly, painfully, and placed it on the bed, before beginning the slow and arduous task of getting your amour off over your head without stretching the wound in your side any more than it already had been. You were too drained to use your magic, and if you got it wrong something horrible might happen.