Chapter forty eight - In which you go undercover

When you got back to the tower later that day, you told everyone that you were being sent on an undercover mission together while Loki started trawling through the file Fury had given you.

"So, you're leaving....?"

"Tomorrow." you finished Tony's sentence for him, trying and failing not to feel the immense amount of worry everyone in the room was feeling for you.

"Right. Indefinitely?" Tony continued.

You nodded. You couldn't say you were upset that you and Loki were being sent off on an undercover mission together, but you weren't exactly thrilled either. You were going to be associating with literal Nazi's for the foreseeable future, and that wasn't something that filled you with excitement.

That evening was an uncharacteristically quiet one, and although it was to be your last night at the tower for who knew how long you couldn't bear to sit and listen to everyone thinking about the worst things that could happen to you (and Loki, in Thor's case) on the undercover mission. Usually you would try to block out such unsavory thoughts, but the intensity and number of them which were bouncing around the room was such that you couldn't block them out. Eventually you stood up and bid everyone goodnight, even though it was barely past nine pm.

Once you were safely away from everyone's thoughts in your room, you changed into your pajamas and started looking through the file that Fury had given you and Loki. You put aside the separate plane tickets, hotel booking references and taxi bookings and picked up the fake identities you were about to be taking on. The lady you were going to be impersonating was called Michelle; you stared at the picture attached to the file for a moment before casting an illusion over yourself to become said lady. She was middle aged, in her late thirties according to her file, and had a mean looking face with harsh eyebrows and thin lips. Her mousy brown hair was pulled back into a tight bun at the nape of her neck, and you guessed that she rarely wore it any other way. A quick scan through the rest of her file showed that she had been engaged to be married a few years earlier, but her fiancé had been killed in a freak accident a few months before the wedding. There was a clipping of an article covering the accident, which heavily hinted that SHIELD had had something to do with the 'accident', which had resulted in the deaths of several high-ranking government officials. Turning the piece of paper over, you discovered the word 'HYDRA' stamped in red ink.

SHIELD had obviously been investigating this underground organisation for far longer than Fury was letting on. Further examination of the file led you to discover that Michelle had no other family apart from an older sister living in Spain with whom she had had no contact with for years. This led you to wonder what had become of Michelle after SHIELD had discovered she was really working for HYDRA.

You were drawn from your thoughts by a noise of surprise which emitted from the doorway to your room. Loki obviously hadn't been expecting to find a small, headteacher-like lady sat on your bed.

"Michelle looks like she could use a holiday." he smirked, closing the door behind him. You were far past the point of being surprised that he'd known what you were thinking despite the fact he'd been in an entirely different room.

"I don't think she'll be jetting off on any holidays any time soon." you remarked, dropping the illusion as Loki walked towards you. He hummed in appreciation as your face reappeared.

"That's better." he smiled, lifting your chin to give you a kiss before moving to sit next to you to look at the files; you were unable to stop the smile which spread across your face. Loki picked up the file which contained all of the information on the person he was to be impersonating and barely gave it a glance before tossing it aside again with a sigh. It was the same person he'd been pretending to be on all of his previous undercover missions investigating HYDRA; he already knew all there was to know about them. This you gleaned from his thoughts.