Chapter twenty eight - In which you wait

Author's note: Hey guys, thank you so much for all the supportive comments you left me last week! It's felt really weird not posting twice this week but I feel a lot better in terms of organisation now which is good. I hope you're all doing okay, here's chapter twenty eight, enjoy! (also 12k reads  and #1 in the #loki tag a few days ago?? what the heck thank you so much <3)

...

As you had suspected, the day dragged.

First you got out of your gear and showered, climbing into some joggers and a hoodie afterwards and not bothering to dry your hair, which you shoved into a messy bun on top of your head. Then breakfast, which you were forced to eat by a very stubborn Nat. You found yourself obsessively looking at the clock, as if that was going to change anything. How had it only been forty minutes?

Thankfully there was a distraction a few minutes later as Tony arrived with news of the mission yesterday. Ricci was in his rightful place, Penelope was unharmed but understandably upset (as it turned out, she hadn't known that her incredibly rich and good-looking boyfriend had been a criminal mastermind), and was planning on flying back to England imminently. No one else had been hurt at the party, just very confused and hungover. Overall it had gone as well as you could have hoped it would. Apart from Loki.

"As for Fury, it remains to be seen what he'll make of Loki getting injured." Tony said finally, directing this at you and Thor.

You hadn't even thought about that. Would Fury be mad, or pleased at how Loki had acted to benefit the mission? What would happen as a result of the decision he would have to make?

You couldn't deal with all of these what if's, you just wanted to know if Loki was actually going to be okay before any of that. This was a question which would be answered about twenty-five minutes later when Bruce entered the room... and smiled at you.

"He's fine. It's incredible how fast he's healing, I've only ever seen that rate of healing with Thor before. And you, with your leg Y/N." he said, heading to the kitchen for some food.

"It's because we're Asgardian, we heal quickly." Thor supplied helpfully.

"And gods." you added, smiling for the first time since last night. Relief didn't even begin to cover how you felt.

"That too." Thor nodded.

"Well, he's not consciously healing himself at the moment. He's on a lot of drugs so he'll be out for a few hours I expect." Bruce continued. You couldn't help but feel disappointed; you tried not to show it in your face.

"You're a star Bruce. Thank you." you told him, receiving a smile in return.

The day continued to drag; now you were waiting for Loki to wake up rather than news, and while you weren't as tense you were still eager for him to wake up so you could talk to him. There was a lot to talk about. Mostly why he'd felt the need to take a bullet for you. Your heartrate sped up every time you thought about talking to him about it, but it wasn't exactly a topic you could avoid. You'd just have to cross that bridge when you came to it.

An hour passed, then two. It wasn't even midday yet. Tony offered to take you driving again, but you declined, wanting to be at the tower when Loki woke up. When Nat offered to do some training with you at about half twelve, you jumped at her offer; Steve's protests ("We only just went on a mission yesterday!") fell on deaf ears as you practically ran to get changed. Two hours later after a dedicated training session, you finally admitted to Nat that you should probably stop and have some lunch before you collapsed or starved to death. A quick shower and change of clothes later you were eating lunch with Nat and Bruce, and being reassured that it was perfectly normal that Loki hadn't woken up yet.