Chapter thirty eight - In which it's Christmas Day

Author's note: Hey guys, hope you're all good! I'm sorry to be posting a Christmas chapter in literal mid-June but I couldn't help but write some Christmas fluff, hopefully one day some people will read this at Christmas time XD Hope you enjoy this chapter <3

...

When you woke up, you were in your own bed. Remembering what had happened the night before felt like getting slapped across the face... but in a good way. Fleetingly, you wondered if it had all been a cruel dream and the kiss hadn't really happened at all, but you felt different. Lighter. Your mind was completely open, you weren't hiding anything anymore. It had happened; Loki must have carried you to bed. The thought made you feel slightly faint, but again, in a good way.

And it was Christmas! Never before had the prospect of Christmas Day been more exciting to you. A quick glance at your clock told you that it was just after eight am; you got out of bed (gladly noting that you were still wearing yesterday's clothes, that would have been awkward) and had a quick shower before getting dressed and making your way to the living room.

Outside, the snow was still falling thick and fast; New York was quieter than you'd ever heard it without the usual sound of traffic and commuters going about their daily business drifting up from the streets below. Bruce, Thor and Loki were already up, an unlikely trio occupying three different sofas, and Tony and Pepper were sat at the kitchen island reading something on a tablet. As you entered the room there was a chorus of "Merry Christmas!" from everyone apart from Loki.

"Merry Christmas guys." you replied happily, receiving a hug from Pepper, and then sat yourself down on the same sofa as Loki, far enough away for it not to be suspicious but close enough that Thor gave you one of his pointed looks. Loki smiled at you briefly as you sat down, but then looked away when Thor turned to you. You were almost sat where you had been last night.

Good morning.

So normal. Like nothing had happened.

Hey. I don't seem to remember going to bed last night.

That would be because you didn't. I didn't think Stark and the others would appreciate finding us here this morning.

How thoughtful of you.

I try.

You fought back a smile. Thor was very audibly thinking that something was different between you and Loki, and you turned to look at him questioningly. He just shrugged innocently and pulled a face, clearly conveying that he knew something was going on.

We're not gonna be able to keep this from Thor for long, you know that. Or any of the others for that matter.

Loki sighed almost imperceptibly, but didn't reply. He knew alright.

Over the next half an hour the rest of the team filtered into the living room and exchanged a lot of "Merry Christmas!"s, and then some other people arrived (they looked like waiters) to turn the kitchen island into a long table for ten and set it for what you assumed would be Christmas dinner later on. You were proved wrong when Tony came and sat next to you (squashing himself in between yourself and Loki rather than on your other side where there was plenty of room, which Loki wasn't exactly pleased about), and told you that he'd hired a team of kitchen staff to cook for the ten of you today. You dreaded to think how much they were charging, but you couldn't say that you minded exactly, especially when breakfast was brought in and it was your absolute favourite breakfast dish.

You ate all together and then had your plates cleared by the waiters, and then to your horror when you all gathered back in the living room there were presents.