Chapter fifty - In which they know

The next fortnight was one which you would rather forget.

As the days went by you became more and more frustrated; Michelle's days were long and gruelling and some days you barely managed to make it back to your hotel room before dropping the illusion and falling straight into a deep sleep. Loki was struggling less with the illusions, but no less with the fact that you'd barely interacted for the entire time you'd been in London. This was solely due to the fact that Harry was working night shifts, and Michelle day shifts. Your timetables regularly seemed to fit perfectly (or, not) around the other's, with one of you just coming off of a shift as the other arrived back from one. You couldn't help but wonder if this was a deliberate move. The head of this department (the entitled man in the suit from dinner on the first night: Agent Gregor) had not warmed to either Michelle nor Harry and on more than one occasion you'd overheard your temporary colleagues discussing this fact.

Rumours were circulating.

Eight days into this awful regime there was finally a respite: you finished your shift an hour early and when you returned to the hotel Loki still had two hours before he was due to leave. All thoughts of Fury's warnings about jeopardising the mission and the fact that you were in a building of the most evil people you'd ever met went straight out the window; you'd be damned if you weren't going to grab this opportunity with both hands.

Two positively blissful hours later you teleported back to your room and slept the best you had in a week. So maybe you didn't want to forget all of the fortnight.

Thoughts of that night and brief, sleepy conversations through your thoughts got you through the following week to the day of the meeting. You'd a bad feeling about it the minute it had been announced that morning: an 'emergency' meeting regarding the 'safety and continuation' of the organisation. Along with everyone else you were assigned to your shift with you returned to the hotel early and were directed to the board room where all the other agents were gathered around the long table in the centre of the room. Half of the agents present looked half asleep, having been working the previous night and using this afternoon to catch up on lost sleep. Harry looked slightly bleary-eyed, whereas Loki quite literally looked like he was going to fall asleep at the table. You sincerely hoped that wasn't about to happen; you barely had enough energy to keep up your own illusion these days, let alone a whole other one alongside that.

Loki raised his head and gave you an appraising look from down the table as he heard your thoughts as you sat down and you smiled uneasily in return, unseen by anyone else. The blinds were drawn so that little light was actually entering the room, you assumed that this meant the topic of the meeting was not going to be a light and breezy one. Then again, you probably could have worked that out from the urgent nature of the meeting.

Agent Gregor entered the room and closed the door abruptly behind him. The volume dropped rapidly, alongside your body temperature as he looked directly at you. You felt Loki's attention, and your own for that matter, sharpen dramatically. Finally, after what seemed like an age, the man's attention moved away from you and he strode purposefully towards the head of the table, where he slowly sat down.

Apparently nerves had begun to make you hysterical, because you were suddenly forcefully reminded of Voldemort sat at the head of a long table full of Death Eaters and a laugh bubbled inside of you. Loki was giving you an incredulous look. He looked so tired; you were aching to hold him again. Some agents had their eyes fixated on Agent Gregor, while many others were gazing at their hands, or various points along the wall.

"Among us today, are two spies."

Your soul left your body.

"SHIELD agents, no less. As we suspected."