Chapter one - In which Thor throws a bus at your head

Author's note: Hi there, I've been working on this fic for a while now and been dreading posting it because I've spent soo much time on it... I love a slow burn fanfic (I spend so much time reading them at 3am when I should be sleeping) so decided to write one myself. If you end up reading this until 3am when you know you shouldn't be I have achieved my goal! I'm posting this on ao3 too (username in my bio), but I started a bit earlier on there so it's about three chapters ahead. I'll try my best to update weekly, we'll see how things go... I really hope you enjoy this story, please leave a comment if you do! <3  (jan 2020)

Side note: I've had a lot of comments saying that Loki's eyes should be green when I write them as blue; this is only because Tom's eyes are blue in the films! I know they're canonically green but I just like them blue, you can imagine them as whatever colour you like though, that's the whole point of fanfic <3 (nov 2020)

Another side note: there's no smut! I've had quite a few less than pleased comments now about the fact that I skip over smut, but there are underage readers here and I feel uncomfortable writing that sort of stuff when I don't know who might read it, warnings or not. (march 2021)

...

Your day had actually been going quite well. That should have been the first warning sign that things were about to go horribly wrong.

You'd thankfully managed to avoid conversation with your foster parents as you had left the apartment before they'd woken up this morning, and your college professor had given your latest project a glowing review, something you'd been stressing about a lot recently. It was pay day, which meant you were one step closer to finally being able to buy your own apartment and, most importantly, today marked one month with no sign of the purple mist.

You should have guessed that it was too good to be true. It was half past five on Friday afternoon, and you were slowly making your way from college back to the apartment, taking the longest route through the streets of New York as possible.  It had always just been an apartment rather than a home, you'd never truly felt at home there. Or anywhere else, really.

You were walking slowly because you knew what was waiting for you - the price to pay for walking out without saying anything this morning. It was stupid, you weren't afraid anymore, but the thought of going back to that place made you so depressed.

This was what you were thinking about when you heard the screams. They were quickly followed by a loud screech of metal and a cry of "look out!"  You spun around right in time to see a bus flying through the air towards you.

There was no time to think, no time to yell or run, just a split second of disbelief before the bus was on top of you. More screaming. That might have been you, but in your defence you had just had a bus thrown at you.

What a way to die.

But... how were you still thinking if you were dead? Slowly cracking your eyes open, you exhaled heavily, your heart racing.

You were inside the bus. Surrounded by the purple mist. There was a hole in the side of the bus which you had somehow just broken through inside your protective purple bubble of a shield.

Days without mist = 0.

You could hear panicked voices from outside, probably coming from the people who had apparently just seen a girl crushed by a bus. Suddenly the bus was lifted clean off of the floor and moved away from you; the purple mist disappeared. There were gasps of shock from the people who had gathered around the scene, which you initially thought were directed at you.

"My apologies, I don't usually make a habit of throwing vehicles at innocent bystanders."

You turned around to see where the deep voice had come from, and came face to face with a very large, very solid chest. Looking up, your eyes met a pair of bright blue ones, surrounded by a mass of long blonde hair.