Chapter eighty five - Test Run

After another long plane journey and a small fight with Thor after you'd discovered he'd smuggled some beer back with him, you arrived back at the compound at about 2am.

You sent Thor straight to bed (double checking that he didn't have any beer hidden in his jacket) and then made your way to the kitchen for some food with Bruce, where you discovered Nat and Tony sitting at the table.

"Hey, did you get him?" Nat asked as you trudged into the room, shattered from your long day.

"Just about." you smiled, and Tony raised a fist in celebration.

"That's the whole crew." he said in satisfaction.

"So, what's the plan?" Bruce asked, looking into the fridge over your shoulder.

"We're sending Clint on a test run tomorrow-"

"Clint's here?" you asked in shock, spinning around to look at Nat, who nodded sheepishly.

"I flew out to Tokyo. I didn't wanna tell anyone in case I didn't find him or... anyway, he's here now." she said, smiling a smile which looked forced. You decided not to ask any more questions for now.

"Kid, you look dead on your feet, you should get some sleep." Tony told you as you walked over to the table with a glass of water, having decided not to eat.

"Thanks very much. And I won't sleep, I'm too nervous." you told him truthfully.

"Yeah, I know the feeling." he replied, looking off out of one of the large windows.

"So, a test run?"

"Yep. We have everything we need so we figured, why hang about?" Tony replied.

"We still need to work out a proper plan though. It'll be a week or so before we can actually try it." Nat said quickly.

"So, this time next week..." you said, leaving the sentence hanging, unfinished, in the air.

"You might have your fiancé back." Tony said, smiling at you. You nodded, smiling a fake smile which was apparently glaring obvious to everyone in the room. Nat and Tony frowned at you.

"What's wrong?" Nat asked.

"She's afraid Loki will have gone off of her." Bruce told them from the kitchen through a huge mouthful of food.

"You can't be serious." Tony said disbelievingly. Nat was shaking her head and smiling.

"No, guys, listen! I-" you started, unable to finish your sentence due to an onslaught of protest from both Tony and Nat, which was along the lines of what Bruce had told you earlier. Instead of making you feel better, tears filled your eyes and you looked down at your hands.

"Kid, don't." Tony said, moving to sit next to you. Nat came to sit at your other side.

"I'm sorry, I just- I don't know. We might not even do it." you sniffed, trying in vain to hold the tears back.

"One. We are going to make this work. Two. What makes you think Reindeer Games is gonna be any less in love with you?" Tony asked you.

"He was in love with me five years ago. That's a long time for me to turn into a different person." you said quietly. Tony nodded thoughtfully.

"I don't think you need to worry Y/N. And maybe let's just cross that bridge when we come to it? We have bigger things to worry about for the next few days." Nat suggested, and you smiled, wiping your eyes.

"I know. This has all just happened so quickly." you said, your hand moving to the lock of Loki's hair entwined with yours.

"You can say that again." Tony sighed, twisting his wedding ring around his finger.