Chapter fifty seven - 177A Bleecker Street

A/N: This gif. That is all. Carry on. 

...

The walk to 177A Bleecker Street was an awkward one.

You so badly wanted to apologise to Thor for lying to him, but couldn't find the words for an apology quite that big. When you finally did start to speak, Thor held up a hand to silence you before you'd even uttered two words.

"Not now Y/N."

"But I-"

"Please, save it. I thought you were above such betrayal, that you would change Loki for the better, but it turns out he's just changed you for the worse."

He might as well have hit you in the face.

"That's not true." you said, and your hurt must have been audible in your voice, because Thor sighed and stopped to look at you.

"Then why did you lie?"

"Loki deserved his chance at happiness. He saw the opportunity and he took it; how could I deny him that?" you pleaded.

"Because it meant treason? And lying to your friends?" Thor suggested.

"Well... yes. Maybe if Odin had been a better father-"

"That has nothing to do with it."

"That has everything to do with it Thor! Don't you see?" you asked desperately.

"No, I don't." he replied bluntly, walking past you.

"He deserved at least a chance at being king. I wanted him to have it so badly, I thought if we just gave it a go..." you continued, chasing after him down the street.

"And how did it go?"

"Well! To start with. And then... but the people were happy!"

"Other realms were not so happy, they were dying. And that's partly because of Loki." Thor snapped.

"Thor I'm sorry, I truly am. But I don't regret seeing Loki the happiest he's ever been sitting on that throne, even if he made some bad decisions." you told him stubbornly.

Thor didn't seem to have an answer for that one. You caught hold of his arm and made him stop; he met your gaze.

"I am sorry." you said earnestly. Thor's gaze softened.

"I know you are." he said, reaching out to squeeze your forearm.

"I missed you Y/N."

A year ago you might have cried, but now you held the tears back and smiled broadly.

"I missed you too. And the others, so much."

After that the air was a lot easier to breathe as you walked.

"What was the deal with the huge skull? And the dragon head in the Observatory?" you asked as you walked.

"I've been having awful dreams recently about Asgard falling: Ragnarok. The Fire Giant Surtur is prophesied to bring about Asgard's doom, so I paid him a visit."

"And... decapitated him?"

"Essentially, yes."

"Right, well, good." you said, unsure how else to validate Thor's actions. "And the dragon head?"

"The beast tried to follow me through the Bifrost."

"I see." you replied. You couldn't help but worry that Thor had brought the head of the creature prophesied to destroy Asgard back to Asgard, but he seemed unconcerned. You left it, deciding not to push your luck so soon after your reconciliation.