Chapter twelve - In which you find out you're in danger

Author's note: Hey guys, this chapter is kinda a short one sorry - I guess because it's mostly dialogue. This gif really makes me laugh, but in the context of Loki getting annoyed at you... sheesh 😍 Getting distracted by gifs of Loki is literally a skill of mine. Anyways, hope you enjoy, leave a comment/vote if you do! :)

...

Once you were inside, the team all piled into the living room (much to Clint's annoyance) and you were sat down by Tony, who in short told you that it was safe to say there was a group of people out to get you.

You were being targeted, you were in danger.

He then explained how they had found this out on the mission they had just been on, but you weren't paying attention anymore, trying to work out how to feel. Scared? Angry? Calm?

"Kid? You okay?" Tony asked; apparently he had finished talking now.

You nodded mutely and pointed towards your bedroom, standing up and leaving the room.

The minute you were inside your room with the door locked, you sat on your bed in shock. That was how you felt: shocked. And not safe. An unhelpful combination, which meant that you didn't sleep very much at all that night.

...

The next morning you were the first one up (if you could call it 'up' when you hadn't slept all night), Or so you thought.

"Good morning Y/N." Loki's voice came suddenly from one of the sofas, making you jump.

"Hey, sorry, didn't see you there." you exhaled, placing a hand on your chest.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

"No, it's fine. Why are you up so early?" you asked, heading for the kettle.

"I have told you already, I don't need to sleep. Everyone was worrying about you extremely audibly in their thoughts all night, especially Stark." he replied, causing a pang of guilt to shoot through you.

"Do you know what they found that made them so worried?" you asked, trying to sound casual.

Loki opened his mouth, and then closed it again.

You stared at him. If he found it disconcerting, then you were definitely in big trouble.

"It's my fault." he finally said.

There was a good few seconds of silence as you tried to process what had just been said.

"What do you mean it's your fault? What have you done?" you replied, half in disbelief, half in fear.

"At the party. When I was arguing with Thor about not attending, I said some things I shouldn't have when there were guests nearby. About you."

You were becoming more and more confused by the second.

"I don't understand... why were you talking about me when you were arguing with Thor-"

"He said that I seemed to enjoy your company and it might do me good to spend some time with you, and I told him that the only reason you were being remotely kind to me was because we share the same magic and you wanted to learn how to use it." he told you, his voice louder than usual and without its usual self-important air.

Shocked, you stood very still, not knowing how to deal with this unexpected situation.

"Someone must have heard, and... I don't know, told the wrong people. It's my fault." he concluded matter of factly, determinedly not looking in your direction.