Chapter thirty three - In which you learn how to dance

Author's note: Hey guys, not entirely sure why I'm updating early again when I probably shouldn't be but it's Saturday night (or actually Sunday morning for me now) and I'm feeling spontaneous XD I think I'm going to catch up with where I'm up to posting on AO3 on here, so that I'm posting the same chapter every week rather than two different ones, just to change it up and encourage me to hurry up and write hehe. Anyways I'm really tired and rambling, hope you enjoy this chapter <3

...

Loki's POV

The next two hours were terrible.

The food was nice enough, but Loki had spent the majority of the dinner trying not to listen to Fandral flirt with you. He couldn't say that he blamed him, you looked (without meaning to sound awfully cliché) like some sort of princess in that dress. His mother kept looking at him pointedly and then down the table at you, which was horribly embarrassing. She'd made her feelings about his reluctance to tell you how he felt very clear during her talk earlier today, and to his immense annoyance her lecture had actually made a lot of sense. He knew that she was expecting him to talk to you tonight, and he had no excuse. Soulmates. The word still sounded stupid and made up, but Frigga had seemed determined to push the idea that you and he had some sort of special bond. The thought wasn't entirely awful, Loki supposed.

Thor seemed in an exceptionally good mood sat opposite him, but that was probably because you'd all been to the tavern before the meal. He was glad you'd been sensible enough not to get overly drunk, although looking around it seemed as though not many people wouldn't be drunk soon enough. He was planning on staying sober however, he didn't want any more slip ups like earlier when he'd accidentally let you know he thought you looked 'exquisite'. Which, for the record, you did, but he hadn't meant for you to hear it. He didn't know how you'd taken it, being unable to see your face, but you'd remained silent since then. Whether that was a good or bad thing remained to be seen.

"Loki?" Thor was saying.

His head snapped up as he realised that everyone was standing up to allow the tables to be cleared for dancing, and he quickly vacated his seat, glaring at Thor when he correctly guessed what (or, who) he had been thinking about.

While the servants and maids worked quickly to remove the tables and chairs to make space for dancing, Loki moved away from Thor and Odin (who kept shooting him disdainful looks) to stand next to his mother.

She looks lovely in your colour.

He couldn't get over how weird it felt having another person's voice in his head. A person that wasn't you. His mother was right though, green suited you down to the ground.

She does.

Fandral was now leading you away from the hall and down the steps which led to outside. You were casting an alarmed look back at Lady Sif, who simply laughed and waved you away. Loki watched this with a deadpan expression, trying not to worry. Fandral was all talk and no show, he wouldn't try anything... would he?

He's teaching her to dance.

That is none my concern.

He had been right. He couldn't lie to his mother.

Your POV

After everyone was done eating, the tables and chairs were cleared to make room for dancing. This was the part you'd been dreading.

"Why do you look so nervous?" Fandral asked, noticing your stiff posture.

"I don't dance. I mean I do, but I assume that dancing here isn't the same as the sort of dancing I've done on Earth." you confided. He was actually really nice, despite your first impressions of him being a massive flirt. And he was a massive flirt, but there was more to him than that, as you'd found out after spending two hours with him over dinner.