Chapter twenty five - In which you infiltrate a party

Author's note: Hey guys, it's update timeee, thank you so much for 5k! Hope you're all doing okay in lock down/quarantine; hopefully this will all be over soon! :( Here's chapter twenty five, enjoy! :) (I know this gif is from the great gatsby but this is what the mansion looked like in my head when I wrote this sooo)x

...

"A drink ma'am?"

"Yes, thank you."

You were in. Nat's fake identities had passed the guest list test and got you past security, and subsequently you were now being offered a drink by an extremely fancy looking waiter, which you accepted eagerly.

"Don't drink that. You need to be alert." Loki, no: Lewis, muttered to you. You were hanging on to his arm tightly, trying not to look as nervous as you felt.

"It's for the nerves." you muttered back, before knocking back the whole glass in one and detaching your arm from his. If you were going to be alert you weren't allowed to be distracted.

"Y/N, if you get drunk this whole mission is futile."

"Stop it, I'm not getting drunk, I had one glass of champagne. And it's Louise, not Y/N."

'Lewis' rolled his eyes, and you smiled at the expression of annoyance which you had become so used to.

"Let's split up, we need to scope this place out." you heard Nat say through your earpiece (a tiny one, so that it was almost invisible unless you were looking for it), and Bucky and Clint agreed. It took half an hour to explore the mansion, and that was only the first and second floors, let alone the gardens, which housed two pools and a jacuzzi. The majority of the guests were now inside however, as it was dark, cold and had begun to rain outside, and as the front doors were closed with a resounding thud you couldn't help but feel like you were being trapped.

"I've got eyes on Ricci and Penelope, they're in the lobby." Bucky said discreetly. The lobby was so huge that, although you were also in there, you could spot neither Bucky nor your two targets. Two identical and elaborate white marble staircases swept down from either side of the upper floor, which was open plan and visible from the bottom floor, and were currently swarmed by guests, all drinking and laughing. Finally you spotted Bucky on the upper floor, who nodded in the direction of Ricci and Penelope.

You finally spotted them near the bottom of the right staircase. It was odd seeing them for the first time in person when you'd spent almost two weeks studying them. You knew almost everything about them, right down to how they danced, because there would inevitably be dancing later on.

"I see them." you said, wondering if Bucky could even hear you over Nat talking to a random guest and Tony and Thor discussing something from the jet, hidden half a mile away from the mansion. This earpiece technique wasn't working out so well at a busy party.

Suddenly, you had the weirdest sensation in your head, like someone was pressing softly against the back of your skull. You raised your hand to your head in confusion, before realising what was happening. Mentally bracing yourself, you took the wall down from around your mind and heard Loki's voice in your head for the first time in two weeks.

It's just for tonight, don't make a fuss about it. Where are you?

In the lobby with Buck. Why don't you just use your earpiece? I'll hear you on there.

There's too much going on there, it's easier like this.

Maybe for him, but now you had to concentrate on keeping your mind half shut off while also holding up an illusion and kidnapping a criminal mastermind. You weren't sure if you were up to this. Of course, you could always completely let your guard down around your mind and trust Loki not to go prying, but you didn't want to risk it. You also weren't sure if you trusted yourself not to think something so audibly that he accidentally heard something you didn't want him to.