The Psychopath Next Door - Cooper Daniels

Book Title: The Psychopath Next Door

Book Genre: Mystery / Thriller

Author: CarsonFaircloth

Character Name:  Cooper Daniels

Nominated by:  MrsThrillist

About the story:

Cooper Daniels lives next door to a psychopath. He just can't prove it...yet.

When the most popular girl in high school is murdered at a Halloween party, Cooper's suspicions become a reality. He knows exactly who did it. But how is he supposed to prove his charming neighbor is a killer?

Meanwhile, Calla Parker is waking up with blood under her nails, and she has no idea why.

Unable to remember the night before, Calla begins to suspect herself of murder. She's relieved to find out the police have zero evidence to go on. Yet she can't help but shake the feeling she's being watched - very closely. And she knows why.

Cooper Daniels knows her secret.

Hi there. What should I call you? Do you prefer a nickname?

Uh, you can call me Coop. Or Cooper. Whatever works, really.

Welcome Cooper and thanks for agreeing to talk to us today.

Sure, sure.

Before we get going, can I get you something to drink? Water? Soda? Coffee? Wine? Whiskey?

Whiskey...kidding. Totally kidding. A water would be great.

One water coming up. Tell me a little about yourself.

Oh, jeez. I never know how to answer this kind of stuff. I'm sixteen. Almost seventeen. And I sort of just survived a near-death experience at the hands of a serial killer. That's a fun fact, right? Or maybe a not-so-fun-fact...

Um, definitely an interesting fact. Glad you are okay! Where do you live?

Little town called Greenwitch. It's right outside of Raleigh, North Carolina. If you consider "right outside" a forty minute drive.

Do you have any jobs or hobbies?

Gaming. Definitely gaming. And photography. But I'm actually applying for a job over at the diner on main street. Mom doesn't want me to sit around the house all summer. I think she's worried about my mental state after the...ah. Incident. But I'm fine. Really.

Mom sounds smart. What are some of your likes and dislikes?

Easy. I dislike giant, empty, creepy-ass houses. And redheads. And cats. Which is weird, because I really used to like cats. Until...well. Nevermind that. But uh, likes? I guess I like video games. And my car. I love my car. That's my baby.

Redheads? That's specific. What is your greatest fear?

A few months ago, I probably would have said spiders. Or maybe my neighbor. Honestly, I'm still a little afraid of her. Okay. A lot afraid of her. Wait...these questions are totally off the record, right?

Just you and I chatting here. If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?

If I could go back, I wouldn't have gone to that damn party last year. Then I wouldn't be that guy. Y'know. The one who found the body.

That is rough. But are you happy we know your story?

It feels...strange. Having other people in my head, I mean. But yeah. I guess I'm glad. Then again...if she finds out that everyone knows her secret, she's going to be pissed. So maybe pretend you don't know the whole story? Yeah. Let's roll with that.

Oh, I don't know anything...yet. (wink, wink) Let's try something lighter. Who's your favourite person in the world?

Sorry, Vincent. But it's definitely my mom. And I don't really care if that's pathetic, or whatever. She's seriously the best person I've ever met.

That's actually awesome. Do you have any special talents?

Sure. I've somehow managed to evade not one, but two psychotic killers in the span of a year. That's gotta count for something.

Yup, that counts! Do you have an archnemesis?

Depends. I totally hate my neighbor. She's psychotic. Like, actually psychotic. And violent. But she also saved my life. Is it possible to be on friendly terms with your archnemesis?

I think you'd know more about that than me. What's a day in your life like?

Oh, you know. Dodging death. Stumbling over dead bodies. Solving murder mysteries. The usual.

The usual indeed. Do you have a secret?

A secret? No, no. Me? Hiding secrets? Jeez. I mean, if you count covering up a murder to help out your neighbor a secret, then...maybe? Possibly? I should probably go now.

Wait! Before you go, is there anything you want to say to your fans?

I have fans? Oh, God. I'm not really used to being in the spotlight. But...hi, I guess? Did you enjoy watching me fumble around for clues like a total moron? How nice. I feel seen.

Can we look forward to reading more of your story?

I really, really hope not. Because that means there's still a killer on the loose. But honestly, something feels...unresolved. I have a feeling we're just getting started. So, yeah. Buckle up, kids. The fat lady isn't singing yet, and we've got a hell of a ride ahead of us.

Well I for one am putting on my seatbelt. Thanks Cooper for chatting with us (and staying alive to do so.) Stay safe and come back and chat with us again sometime.

I'm just stunned people actually like me. My best friend's usually the one getting all the attention. So...thanks, everyone! I'll try not to die any painful deaths in the future.

Good plan Cooper.

To read Cooper's story, click on the link in the comment here --->

Now it's your turn to ask Cooper.

Add your questions as an inline comment here. Don't forget to tag CarsonFaircloth so they can get the question to him. ---->