A Solemn Promise

Book: A Solemn Promise

Genre: Historical Romance

Author:  littleLo

Character Name: Lord Adam Beresford

Nominated by:  MistyS_96

About the story:

As Lord Adam Beresford left Ashwood, Hertfordshire for the training and education of a gentleman, he promised to return and marry his childhood best friend, and the only girl he could see himself marrying, Grace Denham.

Neither of them foresaw that it would be twelve years until they would meet again.

A lot has changed in that time, and their lives are vastly different. Adam became a gentleman, and everything that the heir to a Dukedom ought to be. Grace remained in Ashwood and became a housemaid to support her family.

But as their lives intertwine once more, their childhood promise bubbles to the surface, throwing their lives, the lives of their families, and the village of Ashwood into chaos.

Good day. What should I call you? Do you prefer a nickname?

Ordinarily it would be customary for you to address me by my title, but I have always preferred Adam.

Thank you for the honour. Welcome and thanks for agreeing to talk to us today.

Not at all. It is my pleasure.

Can I get you something to drink? Water? Soda? Coffee? Wine? Whiskey?

I am unfamiliar with "soda". But I would never turn down a stiff whiskey. Have you any from a Scottish distillery?

You bet we do. I'm a big fan of Cardhu, (a new face on the Scotch landscape) so if you'll indulge me. While we wait tell me a little about yourself.

As you know, my name is Adam. I am six and twenty years old, and I was born in 1781. I am heir to the Dukedom of Ashwood. I have a younger brother, Jack, and a younger sister, Susanna, and a very complicated relationship with my parents ... which stems from their disapproval over the woman I promised myself two as a thirteen year old.

That does sound complicated. Where do you reside these days?

My main residence is Ashwood House in Hertfordshire, England. My family do have a London house as well in Mayfair.

Do you have any jobs or hobbies?

One day I will inherit the Dukedom of Ashwood, and that is an immense responsibility and job. My hobby at the moment includes learning how to be an effective leader.

What are some of your likes and dislikes?

I like real moments, conversations, and time with people whom I love. I dislike the pomp and circumstance expected of a man of my station.

Oh, expectations can be weighty. What is your greatest fear?

Losing Grace. I would never recover.

Let's hope that never happens. If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?

My mother separated Grace and I when we were children, and orchestrated this to lead us to believe it was the other who desired the end to our correspondence. If I had it over again, I would have returned to Ashwood years ago to marry her, and I would have enjoyed every additional moment.

That is... well simply romantic. Are you happy we know your story?

Certainly. I hope others can learn the value of love and family from my story, and learn to never take anything for granted, as tomorrow is never promised.

Well said! Are you in love?

Yes, I have been since I was a boy. Grace Denham will forever possess my heart.

Wonderful! And are you married?

I was fortunate enough to wed Grace on New Year's Day in 1807.

Do you have siblings?

Yes, a younger brother, Jack, and a younger sister, Susanna

Do you have an events or people in your past who affect you today?

My father's death affected me greatly and influences how I conduct myself daily. His illness was unexpected and the grief was unlike anything I have ever experienced. I treasure every moment with my family as I know time is not promised.

I think I know the answer to this, but if you could cure one disease, which would it be?

Cancer. My father, and Grace's father, both succumbed to it. It is a vicious and unforgiving death, and one I would never wish on my worst enemy.

Is there anything you want to say to your fans?

I suppose I must ardently thank you all for your unwavering support throughout my journey. It has meant a great deal that you enjoyed my triumphs and felt keenly my pains. I will always be here should you ever desire to visit Grace and I once more.

Great! So can we look forward to reading more of your story?

There are certainly more tales in our little village of Ashwood, and I will most definitely be there to offer any support and guidance I can.

Well Lord Adam our time is up. It was a pleasure to talk to you and I look forward to exploring the village of Ashwood soon.

It has been my pleasure. I thank you sincerely for your time.

To read Lord Adam Beresford's story, click on the link in the comment here --->

And if your interested in supporting the first scotch in Scotland pioneered by a woman, check out Cardu Single Malt Scotch Whiskey.

Now it's your turn to ask Adam.

Add your questions as an inline comment here. Don't forget to tag littleLo  so they can get the question to him. ---->