After Time - Benjamin "Buddy" Waller

Book Title: After Time

Book Genre: Drama / Lesbian Romance

Author:  Kei_Angelus

Character Name: "Buddy"

Nominated by:  NefertitiFenison

About the story:

The writer was sitting in front of her computer, stuck with the writer's block, when her phone suddenly buzzed, showing the name of the one she missed the most. As the memories came back when she heard that voice she always loved, hundreds of questions lingering in her mind, but she had never gotten the chance to even form the words as the line was cut off at the same time the explosions were seen from her windows.

Jo Narson was just a writer who was trying to finish her fourth book, while not being able to move on with her life without the color of her life. She never thought that she would have to run for her life. But the existence of Carra Mydleston right in front of her got her entangled with her past of hope and her present of survival.

 But  the existence of Carra Mydleston right in front of her got her entangled with her past of hope and her present of survival

Today we have two guests.  Benjamin and his interpreter Andy.  I want to point out for our readers before we begin that Benjamin communicates using sign language.  

Hello boys. Do you prefer Benjamin or Ben?.  

(Buddy looks at Andy, then shows B-E-N-J-A-M-I-N using sign language.)
Ah, his name is Benjamin Waller, but we call him Buddy. Right, Buddy?
(Buddy nods.)
And I am Andy Waller, psychologist. I am his guardian.

Welcome to you both.  Thanks for agreeing to talk to us today.

Can I get you something to drink? Water? Soda? Coffee? Wine? Whiskey?

"Can I have orange juice instead?"

He says he wants orange juice.

On it. While we wait, tell me a little about yourself?
"I like drawing. When Andy is busy, I draw in Miss Carra's class, or in my room, or in the hospital."
He says he likes to draw and he draws in Carra's class, in his room, or sometimes in the hospital, when I'm busy.
Buddy is a bright kid. At first I thought we saved him, but actually, he was our savior.

That is amazing! Let's get some basics before we get into  that. Where do you live?
"With Andy."
With me, yes.

Do you have any jobs or hobbies?
"I am 8 years old. Jobs are for adults."
(Andy laughs.)
He says he's 8 and jobs are for adults. But as he mentioned before, he likes drawing.
(Buddy waves his hands.)
"I like playing catch too."
Oh, and he likes playing catch.

I like to draw too. What are some of your likes and dislikes?
Let me answer this. Buddy likes pancakes, chocolate milk, orange juice, the color blue, and hugs. For the things that he dislikes, well, he hates spinach, bugs, and dark places.
(Buddy nods.)

What is your greatest fear?
(Buddy looks at the interviewer for several seconds, and turns to Andy, hugging him.)
Well, I hope you get your answer.

Indeed.  Let's switch topics. If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?
Um... (Andy glanced at Buddy.)
"No wollards and no tests."
He says, "No wollards and no tests." I am sure the whole wollard situation was quite a traumatic event for him--for everyone. After we came to this facility, as soon as they knew that Buddy had this heightened senses, they did so many tests. I know he hated it so much, but I am glad he can live as a normal kid.

So am I. Are you happy we know your story?
"Maybe."
He says maybe.

Before I let you go, a few random questions. Who's your favourite person in the world?

"Andy! But I like Miss Carra too."

Do you have a pet?
"No, but I want to have cats or fishes."

Do you have a secret?

"Yes. I hid my favorite sock under my pillow. His name is Socky and I talk to him when Andy is not home."

Do you like to cook?

"Yes. I love making pancakes with syrup."

If you could cure one disease, which would it be?
"Sadness. Many people are sad, like Aunty Jo. But I think now she is not sad anymore."

Is there anything you want to say to your fans?
(Buddy threw Andy a confused look and Andy laughs.)
It's okay, Buddy, you don't have to answer that. Besides, I am your number one fan.
"Then, I love you."
Aawww, he says he loves me.

That is wonderful. Tell me Buddy, can we look forward to reading more of your story?
Oh, our friend, Jo Narson is writing our journey. I think she will publish it when she is ready.
(Andy turns to Buddy.)
Yes, it's Aunty Jo, Miss Carra's wife.

It has truly been a pleasure to talk to you today Buddy.  I'll let you get back to your drawing. Maybe you will stop by again someday?

Thank you for inviting us.
"Thank you. You are a nice person."
He says you're a nice person.

Buddy, I think you are nice too.

To read Buddy's story, click on the link in the comment here ---->

Now it's your turn to ask Buddy.

Add your questions as an inline comment here. Don't forget to tag Kei_Angelus so they can get the questions to him. ---->