Try-State Area - Emily Randazzo

Book: Try-State Area

Genre: YA, Coming-of-age

Author: BridgesTunnels

Character Name: Emily Randazzo

Nominated by: GalaRu57

About the story:

According to her brother, high school sophomore Emily Randazzo has a "GPS brain" which set her route and won't let her try a new one.

But as far as Emily is concerned, her whole life has been spent in trials - like trying to decide whether she should live in Brooklyn with her strict Mom or suburban Jersey with her lenient Dad - or trying to figure out how other people's brains work and why hers is so different from theirs - or trying to navigate when she should stand firm in her ways, versus being flexible for others.

After so many years struggling to fit in and be happy, Emily finally feels that she's found her lane in life. She's attending an all-girl school that she loves, made some good friends like her bestie Jenny, and set a goal to be accepted to Yale University. So of course she doesn't want to change direction now!

However, a weekend visit to the relaxed rules at her father's home puts new detours in Emily's path, starting in the form of two boys: her brother's best friend Kelly, and next-door-neighbor Evan. Soon enough Emily begins to wonder if she should recalculate.

Divided between two parents, two states, two boys and the possibilities of two extremely different lives, Emily is trying to figure out who, what and where she wants to be in her future.

Hello. To start, how should I address  you? Do you prefer a nickname?

Emily works, or Em. That's what my best friend Jenny and my brother John usually call me. My Mom calls me Emily Louise when she's angry with me, which feels like it's a lot of the time. My Dad calls me Emilina Beana when I see him, which isn't very often. My friend Evan calls me Brooklyn, or Cherry. That last nickname is a long story which happened after we went to listen to some punk music. Oh God, I can't believe I just rambled all of that out at you! I've been told that when I'm nervous I can talk too much. Or otherwise not enough. That's how I am with a lot of things in life. Maybe because I feel like I'm always stuck in the middle, I don't like to do things halfway if I have control over it... but anyway, back to your question.

Emily works.

Welcome Emily. It's perfectly natural to be nervous. Thanks for agreeing to talk to us today.

Can I get you something to drink? Water? Soda? Coffee? Wine? Whiskey?

While I did get drunk and high for the first time not too long ago... I am underaged, and my mother would murder you if she heard you offered me booze. Plus, she's murder me twice if I took you up on the offer. So to spare us both certain death, I'd love some coffee if you have it. Cream, no sugar. If not, a Coke.