Chapter 14

1 month later

1 month later.

"Do you want anything else before we go?" Aisha said while adjusting her hijab over her shoulder. I looked up from the documents to be greeted by her warm, contagious smile.

"No, I'm just finishing some paperwork. You're all free to go. Have a nice weekend." I said, looking at my three employees. Though I didn't feel as their employer and more like their friend. Aisha was the same as my age and the twins were 3 years younger.

I hired Jonah and Serena one week after I hired Aisha. The shop was working pretty well after it was opened every day. I stopped by from time to time to check on everything and see the progress. It was fun hanging out with the three of them.

"See you, boss." Serena said, before they all got out. I didn't expect Jonah to say anything because he usually struggles with small talk. I was surprised when I saw him charm the customers one time despite his shy nature. But who am I to blame? They both looked beautiful with their platinum blonde hair.

Reality kicked me in the gut when Kate said she was moving in the mansion. Other than a couple of glances, Tristan and I were ignoring each other. Maybe I was the one ignoring him... He tried to talk to me, but I would make an excuse and run. After I officially finished studying, I no longer needed to go to his office, so we only saw each other at dinner.

Since she arrived, I realized how fucked up our situation was.

The family gathering with his family had to be postponed because his father had work to take care of. Tristan was furious; he kept saying stuff on the phone-to his mother I suppose- like 'Are we going to act according to his grace?' or 'Why care if he's coming or not?' Clearly, things aren't the best between them. Therefore, we're flying to Roma in 5 days. I contemplated telling him I didn't want to go because how awkward would it be to go when I'm not even talking to him, but I remembered what he told me about his mother and his grandmother.

My heart flutters every time I think he talked to them about me. But I also think...What am I to them? To him? I prayed this gathering would go well.

I finished at the bakery and arrived at the mansion before 6 pm. Kate was standing in the kitchen, wearing one of Tristan's white shirts. She was holding a glass of champagne in her hand.

"Hey Nora." She smiled. Fake smiled.

"Hey Kate." I replied, heading to my bedroom.

It's been like that ever since. Dry greetings between the two of us until she goes to his room at night. She made sure I saw that every time. It shouldn't, but it made me so fucking jealous.

I held the ceramic handrail when I felt a nauseous feeling in my stomach. I ran quickly on the rest of the stairs and barged into the bathroom to empty my stomach. Two hours. That's how long it took for me to get out the bathroom. I called for Nia and she was with me the whole time.