Chapter 56

T R I S T A N

"I thought of you as my son, you know?" Tiziana began, already making my heart clench, "I've always been the tough one on them. Fabio...that bastard was always the fun parent, laughing with them, making inside jokes, never saying no. I was the hard, strict, anti-yes parent. Especially Nora." She sighed, drained.

"I was always hard on her. Taught her to be tough and hard too. She was the strongest little girl and I tried to remember to hug her and kiss her and tell her that she was the most precious thing, but when you raise one to be like you...they have the same bite too. We were always at each other's throats." She spoke fondly, her tone light as she remembered.

"Her boyfriends-at least that's what she called them-were never good enough for her. I made them run away. But you, Tristan, had your heart laid out for her. I could see it in your eyes. I finally found the one who could give her all the hugs and kisses and tell her every word she deserves. I found a son too." Her voice broke at the end.

I felt the tear slipping down my cheek.

"I think I hated you for taking that away when you left. I was left alone. No Fabio. No you. Just me. I knew I wasn't enough. I tried everything to see my baby girl alive again, not this numb and empty child, but I didn't know how. I hated myself so much for not being there for her in the way that she needed. I called Nessa. I called Eva. I was so happy to see that William guy because he changed something in her, but I couldn't do anything."

I put my hand over hers, squeezing her fingers and she didn't pull away.

"It was hard to realize that what I've been doing wasn't the right thing. You how hard that is for a parent? To fail your child like that? To know that that tough love I gave my daughter still didn't give her the strength after you left. She loved you that much. She never stopped. I...I prayed every night for you to come back. Some nights, I cursed you." She said seriously, making me chuckle despite it all.

"What are you laughing at?" She smiled at me, "I will still give you hell for what you did."

"I wouldn't dream of anything else." I smiled back.

I exhaled, looking at the sunset as we sat in the porch.

"You are enough, Ana. Vera loves you more than anything. Your love made her survive through it all. Made her strong enough to forgive me. You protected her all your life. And even though you weren't the fun parent, you were there when she'd hurt her knee to tell her that she was strong and that she can get back up again. You made her rise again after everything that happened. It was enough."

Half of what I was saying was Vera's own words. Her relationship with her mother was complex, but Vera never once told me she felt less than utter love for her mother. And I was proud that my woman was raised by a mother such as Ana, passing that strength to my daughter.

"I can see the way my sweet granddaughter turned out. You're a great dad. I understand what you did for her. I know you'll give my daughter the most of what she deserves too," She turned to look at me, her eyes softer and loving, "You have my blessing, son. Now, my heart is relieved. I know Fabio's is as well." Ana brushed a single tear from her face.

It had been devastating to say the least, knowing Fabio passed away. He was sun for their family.

I pulled her in for a hug, not needing to add anything else, but hoping it gave her the comfort I offered.