Chapter 33

I leaned in to whisper in her ear so the others wouldn't hear, "Stop fucking touching me

I leaned in to whisper in her ear so the others wouldn't hear, "Stop fucking touching me." I fought the urge to clench my teeth; they had to believe the act so that my father would be satisfied.

There hasn't been a place that I hated being at more than next to Kate. I wasn't going to come here today, but once I saw my father's message I couldn't not come. He sent me a picture of Vera, sitting on her desk at the firm. He sent an accompanying message saying, "Love keeping an eye on your girl."

It made my blood boil, flooding with dread at what he might do if I didn't do as he said. So, as much as I hated doing it, I lied to her. I told her I'd be late at work. But I was here instead, enduring the act of being a man, happily in love with his fiancée while negotiating a business deal with my father's clients.

She acted as if I told her the funniest joke as she dropped her head back and laughed. I hated the sound. I wanted to hear Vera's laugh. I wanted to be holding Vera. I wanted to be-not act-in love with Vera.

I felt her eyes on me while I was talking with the clients. When I finally looked at her, she had a knowing arrogant smirk on her lips. I knew that smirk. It meant danger. But before I could act upon it, she grabbed my face and planted her lips on mine. The bitch was already trying to shove her tongue inside my mouth but I kept my lips closed. I didn't care how it looked like to them; she was way out of line.

The only thing I could do was to nudge her hard in the ribs with my elbow. She somehow made her gasp sound like a moan and I couldn't help the grimace that formed on my face. I wanted to wash my mouth a hundred times to erase her taste.

My eyes caught someone standing sideways and I stilled at the realization. My eyes met hers. She was standing in a long-sleeve black body-con dress, looking me with tears running down her rosy cheeks. She was looking at us. I snatched my arm-my whole body away from Kate as if she was an infection. My heart broke at the way she was looking at me, with eyes full of so much hurt. So much hate.

She turned and began to walk away and I instantly started running after her.

"Vera!" I called after her.

I was physically shoved back at the sound of tires screaming at the friction against the road. Only the screaming wasn't coming from the tires. I almost fell at the comprehension that settled upon me. Vera was screaming.

Vera.
Vera.
Vera.
Vera.
Vera.

I ran and crouched down next to her body. Everywhere I looked, everywhere I touched...there was blood. Blood and blood and blood and blood-