Chapter 22

I cringed at the way he said the girl

I cringed at the way he said the girl. Maybe I shouldn't have been offended, but I was. So I held my hand to him and said, "My name is Eleonora Rodriguez. Nice to meet you Mr. Martinez." Lie. It was not nice to meet him.

He took my hand in a firm grip and shook it once before saying, "Pleasure. I would like to talk to you in my office." His voice was silky, charming even, but I sensed the venom underneath.

"She's not going anywhere with you." Tristan, a hand hidden in his pocket and the other around my waist, said the words with dangerous coolness, looking at his father with an even more dangerous stare. I didn't like when people decided what I should and shouldn't do, but this time I didn't object.

"Non hai nulla di cui aver paura, Tristan. Non mordo la ragazza." He said, probably assuming that I didn't understand each word he was saying. Ouch.
(You have nothing to be afraid of, Tristan. I won't bite the girl)

"Nicolai-" Adriana began with a warning look, but I beat her to it.

"Va bene. Posso andare con lui." I said, smiling at his surprised face. I would even say he was a little bit embarrassed if he didn't mask it quickly enough.
(It's okay. I can go with him)

I felt Tristan's grip on my waist tighten a little bit. I touched his hand and gave him a reassuring nod, before following his father's turned figure to his office.

He held the door open for me and I mentally rolled my eyes at the gesture. Yeah, so gentlemany. I stepped foot inside and roamed my eyes over the room quickly. It had the same posh ancient vibe with long, red velvet curtains. There were a lot of books. The chairs and couches were the same as the other villa.

I finally wrapped my mind around the fact that I was there for an unknown reason. A panicky feeling lingered in my gut; I had no fucking idea why he wanted to have a word with me. I watched him round the desk at the back of the room and then took a seat when he gestured towards the dark emerald leather chair in front of me.

"How long have you and my son been together?" He caught me off guard by the question.

"We've known each other for almost three months." I kept my answer vague.

"Hmm...so it's nothing serious." It wasn't a question. He just stated it like a fact, with...relief?

"I'm not sure why I'm here." I didn't realize my legs were shaking until I looked down. I didn't know why exactly, but my heart was hammering and I was getting hot in my ears.

"You said you've been together for three months...he was engaged then. Didn't you feel ashamed to force a man who is betrothed to another woman? Don't you have any dignity?" He was gazing at me. I didn't like that I averted my eyes in shame.

Shame? Why the fuck would I feel ashamed of?

"I didn't say that. I said I've known him for almost three months. We weren't together. And I didn't force him to do anything. As far as I know he was the one who was forced into his past engagement." I regained my senses, lifted my slumped shoulders and chin.