Chapter 25

I slid the dark green coat over my shoulders before running down the stairs, my hair shuffling around my face in the process

I slid the dark green coat over my shoulders before running down the stairs, my hair shuffling around my face in the process. When I stepped downstairs, I found a coffee mug on the counter with a small note underneath.

Good Luck, Vera

I brought the mug to my grinning mouth and tasted the sweet drink. I was falling in love with Tristan more and more each day. I knew it was him because Nia was on a month vacation for her son's wedding preparations. I was shocked when I learned she had a son old enough for marriage; she certainly did not look like it. After I finished the coffee, I stepped outside the front door to find Morris leaning against the black SUV.

"Good morning, Morris." I threw him a greeting smile before giving him a quick squeezing hug. He stiffened for a second, and I was about to apologize before he returned the hug. I was used to it; people surprised by affection. My mother always told me I was a very giddy person and that I should lay low a little bit. But I couldn't help it, once I liked someone, I cared for them deeply. I guess it was a blessing and a curse.

"Are you excited?" He asked when we were sitting in the car.

I turned the words in my head, asking myself how I was feeling. I was having an ambivalent feeling.

"I am...but I'm also so nervous I'm trying not to pee." My right leg was shaking a little bit.

"Well, you better hold it because we're here." He pointed to the window.

Deep breath in.

Deep breath out.

In.

Out.

You can do this Nora.

***

"I can't do this, Morris." I covered my face with my hands.

"It's okay to get rejected from a couple of firms, Nora. There's a lot of them in New York." He patted my back gently.

"A couple? I've been rejected by eight firms. Eight for fuck's sake!" It's been three days like this; me going to law firms, them interviewing me and me getting the we'll-call-you card once they see my bump. I was so surprised the first time I saw their expressions after they asked me if I was pregnant that I just stood there. Baffled. It didn't occur to me that it'd be an issue, but apparently, it was for eight law firms.

Oh, I'm afraid we have strict rules about interns.

You wouldn't be at your full capacity.