Chapter 26

I waited for the ache in my chest

I waited for the ache in my chest. I waited for the tears filling my eyes. I waited for the trembling. I waited for the caving. I waited for the hurt. However, nothing consumed me but utter numbness. I was looking silently at the boy who hurt me so much that I hadn't opened my heart to anyone after him for years. But I'd accepted it a long while ago. Learned to live with it; the bruises he'd carved into my heart. Nessa once told me: time would heal what he did, but...but time didn't heal me. I didn't heal me. The teenage part of me had to watch the person she trusted the most walk away from her. Give up on her. Had gone to rehab after watching her father take the blame for her. That teenage part would never heal.

I just learned to live with it. Learned to continue my life with the bruises. Nothing heals, I believed.

"Nate," I said. He looked so different now; his hair was shorter, his body was larger, he grew a beard. He didn't look high or fucked up. No, he looked healthier. That teenage part of me wondered if he'd gone to rehab after all. If he was working here, he must've.

"You look the same and yet so different." Some anger was building in me at how he voiced the words so normally. How he could look me in the eye and talk as if he hadn't done anything.

"I could say the same about you." I crossed my arms over my chest. His eyes drifted to them, lingering on my stomach that was now visible. His lips curved upward slightly before lifting his gaze to my face again.

"Yeah, a lot has changed." It was pain that slithered in his dark eyes. It didn't help the fury. He dared to feel pain.

I scoffed before saying, "I want the intern homework." I used Locke's terminology.

"You work here now?" He said, shocked.

I simply nodded not realizing until now that I was to work at the same place as him. I didn't know how I felt about that.

He rubbed his neck and damned me if I didn't knew that gesture so well. He always did that when he was nervous. Good. He was nervous. He should be.

I snatched the dossier from his hand and hurled on my feet.

"Wait!" He said.

"Wait!" I said, holding his arm while the tears were streaming down my face.

"Let me go, Nora." How could he say that?

"You don't get to walk away from me, Nate. You brought me into this. You did this to me!" I cried, hitting his chest.

He closed his eyes and grabbed my wrists. I didn't stop fighting to hit him. Surely it didn't hurt like my heart was shattering piece by piece.

"I didn't do shit. You were the one who wanted this. You said you wanted to feel free." I hated that his words were true.

"Look at me. Look at me for fuck's sake! I'm ruined. We're ruined. And now I'm asking you to come with me so that we could be fixed. Together, Nate. You were the one who said it when we got fucked up you asshole! Together right?" My throat burned from screaming.