Chapter 18

That went surprisingly well

That went surprisingly well. I imagined the talk with Kate would be more chaotic, but I was glad we ended things on good terms. I told her that she could still see the baby whenever she liked...although I wouldn't count on that from the way her smile was weak.

I was standing in front of my father's office. Every part of my body-the parts that had previous devastating memories because of him- was begging me to run away.

Be a man, Tristan. Remember why you're doing this; for her, Vera. And for you...because she makes you happy and you deserve it. I won't let that bastard take her away from me.

I shouldered my way through the door to his old office and found him sitting at the black leather chair. How did he feel so comfortable in a place that wasn't his? This villa was my grandfather's previously and my mother's now. And yet this man had the audacity to roam around it as if he owned it even after she divorced him. I decided to shove my disgust away...it was not the time for that.

"Finally, you came to greet your father." He looked up at me. I forced myself not to avert my eyes as much as I could, no matter how hard it was. I would've never dared to look him in the eye before, but I wasn't a kid anymore.

"I would, but I don't see him anywhere." I made sure my voice was firm, laced with every bit of hatred I had for him.

"Watch your mouth, boy." Boy.

"I didn't come here to argue with you." I put my hands behind my back.

"Then why have you graced me with your presence?" I fought the urge to take a deep breath; wouldn't give him the satisfaction of seeing me afraid. Not anymore.

"I broke the engagement with Kate."

He dropped his head back and laughed. I hated it. I hated him. He didn't take me seriously and I wasn't surprised.

"Stop with the nonsense, boy." My teeth were clenching so hard to the point where my jaw hurt.

"I'm serious. I love someone else." I'm yet to admit it to her, but I was sure of it.

"Is it that one you brought? I'm not surprised...they're all trash, your type." As tempting as it was to punch his face and wipe that smirk off of his face, I didn't do it.

"Oh don't look at me like that. You're too weak to dare and hurt me. Otherwise I'd be glad to bring back what you seem to have forgotten, boy." I stilled. My body aching in a way that made me want to rip my flesh off. Rip the memories off.

Be a man, Tristan. I closed my eyes for a moment, seeing her face. Her smile. Her eyes. Those were the memories I wanted to see.

Not the ones where he would hit me every night. Not the ones when I'd cry myself to sleep, making sure I didn't make a single sound. I blocked the sting of his belt on my arms. On my legs. I refused to let him win again. I wasn't weak. Not anymore.

"You could go fuck yourself because I will marry her one day and you won't do shit about it." I said, turning away and bringing my hands back to the front.

"Come back here!" I got out of the room with the bang of the now closed door in my ears.

I looked down at my shaking hands. I couldn't let him see them shaking since the moment I entered that office. It was free from the ring. Free from the arrangement that he did.

I opened the bathroom door, and turned the water on. I washed my face, taking that needed breath. I looked at myself in the mirror.

You did it, Tristan.

You won.

When I exited the bathroom, I heard laugher. Vera. I walked towards the sound like a man following a siren. There she was, sitting with my mother. My two favorite persons in this world sitting together, laughing. Nothing was better than this.

Her eyes met mine while laughing and it immediately eased my heart. This woman; she pulled me out of my darkest place without even knowing. I never had nightmares when she'd sing for me. Just seeing her face, her bright blue eyes that hold too much, her smile that brightens my day and melts my heart, her smell that absolutely drives me insane. I loved her. I knew that I loved her that moment when I saw her touching her stomach.

When she told me that I'd be a great dad, I felt a new kind of relief. A relief because I couldn't imagine myself being any way near my father. I wanted to love this baby so much that he or she would never question it. Would never feel the hate that I had for him. I loved her and I wanted to shout it at the top of my lungs.

"Oh, Tristan's here. Let's head for dinner then." My mother said.

"Wait. I need to tell you something first." Vera was about to stand up-thinking it was something for my mother only- but I held her hand and sat beside her on the couch because it was for her too. She looked at me with furrowed eyebrows and then she looked at our intertwined hands. I could feel her eyes at me when I said, "I want your blessing for us." She squeezed my hand.

"Honey, you both had my blessings since the moment I saw Nora. She like a daughter to me now." She looked at her.

When Vera looked at me, she didn't speak a word, but I saw everything in her eyes. The ones I got lost in every time I stared too much.

"Now let's go eat because I spent too much time on dinner. I made my famous dish...the one I was just telling you about." Then we headed to the dining room.

The long table was filled with all kinds of food; ones I've eaten a hundred times and others that I was seeing for the first time. My stomach grumbled. God, I was starving for my mother's cooking.

I noticed her taking Vera to place her better her and aunt Nevada. Oh shit!

"Already stumbling among those two, huh?" I turned my head to my brother. He had a devilish smirk on his face, looking at Vera. Those two...

I took a seat across from them, ignoring my father completely. My mother was already filling her plate with food while Nevada was telling her how much food is important because she was eating for two people. Vera threw me a pleading look, but I couldn't do anything but shrug. Not when the mighty ladies of the family where involved.

Poor Vera...

************************************************

-First Tristan POV whatdowethink ?

-Next too chapters are of my favorites, so keep up!

-Love you cuties and hope you have a nice day.

Ya girl,
Mar 👾