Chapter 30

Forward

Forward.

Around.

Backwards.

Around.

Breathe.

Breathe.

I was pacing back and forth, still shaking, across the hospital. The image of my father's passed out body was clinging to my head. I had no memory of how we got here; only that Tristan called someone and everything else was blurred. What was happening inside? Why were they taking so long?

"Why are they taking so long?" I asked.

"It has been twenty minutes, Vera. He's going to be okay." Tristan said, taking my hand from where he was sitting.

He's going to be okay He's going to be okay He's going to be okay He's going to be okay-

I replayed his words in my head over and over again. My chest was hurting from not breathing properly. How could I? He's inside the ER with doctors doing God knows what.

He's going to be okay He's going to be okay He's going to be okay He's going to be okay-

He was still holding my fingers when he tugged on them to sit down next to him. I did, just because I was probably going to be mad if I gave up to mind. I didn't realize I was crying until I felt his hand wipe my tears away. I closed my eyes and held the replayed words with my mental arms.

He's going to be okay He's going to be okay He's going to be okay He's going to be okay-

"Mom!" I turned my head to my sister's voice. She just rounded the corner and strode to where my mom was sitting. My mother's eyes were bloodshot red and she was holding onto her braid.

Eva hugged my mom and they exchanged yet another look that was understood by them only. When she turned to me, she glanced at Tristan and nodded. Then, she wrapped her arms around me and I was about to finally ask her what the hell did they know and I didn't, but the doctor exited the room. We all stood up and waited for his words. I tried to read his expression, but doctors tended to mask their emotions.

"I want to see my husband." My mom said, already aiming to enter.

"Mrs Rodriguez, you know the rules. You have to wait until he's transferred to another room." The doctor looked at her with apologizing eyes.

I took in a shallow breath and closed my eyes for a second. I could feel it in my bones that they know something I didn't. But I needed to see my dad first.