Chapter 31

I fucked up

I fucked up.

She was scared of me. Seeing him today made me like him. Vera was scared of me.

Earlier that day...

I stared at the phone in my hand and wished the message would just vanish. Just like I wished my father would vanish.

"Too bad the father is down."

That was his warning. He knew everything about her and was going to use it against me. Just like I feared. I knew better than to ignore him, but I wasn't going to keep up with his shit when Vera was clearly hurting and in need of me by her side. It killed me to see her dull eyes or the ghost of her smile or hear the way her voice broke at the hospital. I wish I could just fix it. I already tried by calling her mom and asking for Fabio's stage and offering to send him somewhere better. But she told me they already tried everything to make it better, but the surgery of removing the tumour went wrong that the disease spread even more through his body. Her mother seemed like a strong woman, so when I heard her attempt to hide her sobs, I knew it was serious. I knew it was inevitable.

She told my mom a couple of weeks ago and my mom told me she wanted to come to see Vera, but I told her to wait. I also couldn't tell her what Ana told me; it would crush her. And through all of that, my bastard of a father was bugging me to meet him. The thing wasn't about just meeting him, it was far more than that.

So I wasn't surprised when I saw Kate at his house. If I didn't know better, I'd say they were having an affair. But I knew my father wouldn't compromise the partnership with her father. My father is a monster, but he took the advantage of being stronger than my mother-in terms of body form-and older than me. Samuel O'Brian never hit his children, but he was even more dangerous than my father.

So if he would've killed my father if he knew he had something going on with his daughter. I wasn't sure if I was safe after breaking off the engagement with Kate, but I had a pretty damn amazing and beautiful reason to.

When I entered his office, I didn't spare her a single glance, acting as if she wasn't even there. He was standing next to her in a way that made me question my earlier thoughts. If it was true, then he had absolutely no shame and a death wish. I hoped it was.

"You're here." He said in a fraud surprised voice.

Kate had no idea about my childhood with him so he always acted as if he was the perfect father who got unlucky with an ungrateful son.

"What do you want?" I didn't take a seat.

"Straight to the point, huh? Great then. You're going with Kate to a business dinner tomorrow." His grin made me clench my hands to fists.

"No fucking way." I looked him in the eyes.

"I knew you'd say that. Kate, darling, would you mind waiting for us in the living room?" He looked at her. He wanted to drop the act.